Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

8 Posts

June 20th, 2022 02:00

MD3200i Disk Initialize option greyed out

Need guidance on replacing a failed HDD on MD3200i.

Nee to replace a failed HDD, trying to initialize it via the DMDM but all options are greyed out. Disk Guru marked it as by-passed.

Replaced failed DELL 4TB with WD4TB - R/W speeds are the same. 

Is any work required on HDD before slotting into MD3200i? I'm probably not following procedure correctly - can someone advise please? 

Thank You. 

HDD.png

• 

3.4K Posts

June 20th, 2022 06:00

Hello,

you can see here the procedure (page 212)

https://dell.to/3bhYXKl

No particular action to replace an hard drive.

Once the drive is replaced then the copy back process will start.  Once the copy back finishes then your hotspare drive will go back to stand by. You will also see the virtual disk show as optimal once the drive has finished copy back process.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Marco

August 16th, 2022 22:00

Untitled.pngHi Marco.

I've procured a replacement Dell HDD for this storage server and installed Drive, still showing as By-passed.

Is there a way to manually change this or is it an automated process only. Also a second HDD is failing that i need to replace, procured appropriate drive as well but having difficulty getting these drives up and running.

• 

3.1K Posts

August 17th, 2022 02:00

Hi @Wernersp45,

Usually drive status shows as By-passed, it may mean that the drive is not usable. If the drive is new, and it's a Dell drive, you may need to contact support to check on the storage's support log bundle to find what is the main root cause of the issue. Here is an old existing post: https://dell.to/3QoBWF3

August 17th, 2022 03:00

Hi Joey.

Well it's clear I will need to troubleshoot the basics further myself at this point - I'll need power down our CCTV VMS software and detach the storage as I'm getting errors trying to pull logs even to take up with Dell support.

From there I'll try and pull as much logs as possible for support to check. I Know this is an old storage and out-of-warranty but I need to keep this unit going until we can upgrade early 2023.

Thanks for input.

August 17th, 2022 20:00

Update: HDD was "discovered" after approx 6 hours - Left the drive in bay and was live when clocked in this morning. System is currently recovering data to new hotspare.

Manually failed the second drive and slotted new. System is rebuilding and should be done in approx 24hours.

It would seem on this particular old storage the system is buggy in some sense and not as responsive as it should, very little I can do about that at this point.

Our new server gear estimates has been approved so can't wait to get our new gear up and running and retire this md3200i to non-critical use in the future.

No Events found!