Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2018 15:00

MD3220i Mix SAS and SATA

I currently have a MD3220i that is set up for SAS.  My vendor sent Dell branded SATA SSD and didn't realize we were on an SAS backplane.  When installing the drives I get the error: "Bypassed Physical Disk".

I've read about needing an interposer, is this required? I've also read about "ATA Translator Firmware".  I'd like to if possible just get these working instead of having to return/get SAS drives.  Any ideas to get these working?

Just an FYI, found this:

SATA interface drives are not supported with the Dell™ PowerVault™ MD3200 and MD3220 enclosures.

I'm not 100% sure to trust this info as some of the other HDD/SSD specs are wrong.  Tried reaching out to a TSR but they're closed for the day :(

• 

6.9K Posts

June 20th, 2018 05:00

Hello csperling87,

Your MD3220i supports both SAS & SATA drives.  You are correct in that you will need an interposer on a SATA drives.  Also, you will need to make sure that the drives are on the support matrix with the correct Dell part#.  Here is the link to the support matrix & if you look on page 23-30 it list out all the supported drives as well as the Dell part# for the drives.  http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/md32xx_md36xx_supportmatrix_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

June 20th, 2018 08:00

I was reading that list, I didn't come across any SATA SSD drives (bare in mind I only selected the lowest level capacity in each line of drives, not 100% of the drives). I couldn't find the interposers anywhere, gonna switch to SAS drives.  Thank you!

No Events found!