Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2012 09:00

MD3600f how to configure raid controller IP address

Hi,

I would like to configure an static IP address for the MGMT ethernet port in the MD300f

in the owner's guide it says in page 69:

"RAID controller module network configurations can be assigned using a
DHCP server (the default setting). However, if a DHCP server is not available for 150
seconds, the RAID controller modules assign static IP addresses. The addresses
assigned are 192.168.128.101 for controller 0 and 192.168.128.102 for controller 1."

how do I configure the RAID controller IP?

Regards

Pablo

685 Posts

October 18th, 2012 13:00

To manually change the management port IP address you will need to get the serial cable that came with the unit and connect it to the controller module you are wanting to configure. You will see an option to press Ctrl+break and then after that press Shift S when prompted. At that point you will get a menu with option 1. Display IP 2. Change IP 3. Reset Password. Select the option 2 and it will allow you to change the IP address to what you want.

Once you are done you will need to do the same on the other controller module to ensure they are both configured correctly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

9.3K Posts

October 19th, 2012 07:00

The other (non-serial) option is to plug both controllers' management ports into your LAN, give a computer temporarily a 192.168.128.100 IP address, use MDSM to discover the array (has to be in the same vlan (can't go over a gateway/router)). Once discovered, pull up the array management and on the setup tab is the option to change the controllers' IP addresses.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2018 05:00

Even i had need to configure the Raid Controller IP and I had connected Lan cable to Laptop ethernet and Storage management port.

I am using the disk storage manager to configure to new IP after configure new IP when i click OK , getting alert message that the "Changing the speed of duplex settings of the management port from the autonegotiation default settings is not recommended.  After clicking yes and again rechecking of the IP Change does not show new IP and is set to default IP 192.168.129.101.

Can anyone let me know what could be the problem Thanks.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2018 05:00

Even i had need to configure the Raid Controller IP and I had connected Lan cable to Laptop ethernet and Storage management port. 

I am using the disk storage manager to configure to new IP after configure new IP when i click OK , getting alert message that the "Changing the speed of duplex settings of the management port from the autonegotiation default settings is not recommended.  After clicking yes and again rechecking of the IP Change does not show new IP and is set to default IP 192.168.129.101.

Can anyone let me know what could be the problem Thanks.

• 

6.9K Posts

January 30th, 2018 08:00

Hello RameshRT,

Do you have the serial cable that came with your MD3600f?  If you do then you can set the IP by using the following:

1. Startup a terminal emulation program like PuTTY, Tera Term, Minicom, or HyperTerminal using terminal settings 115200-8-n-1.
  2. Send a from the terminal shell. To do this, use within HyperTerminal or PuTTY, or use from within Minicom on Linux systems.
    • When prompted for input within five seconds, press for the service interface menu.

NOTE:The command is case-sensitive.

1. The user will then be prompted for a password. The password is: supportDell
  2. The menu options available are:

1) Display IP Configuration

2) Change IP Configuration

3) Reset Storage Array (SYMbol) Password

1. Q) Quit Menu

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2018 09:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention the storage model is MD3820f is the same step applicable for MD3820f storage. 

Also it looks strange why the default IP not got changed to the new IP assigned through the Dell MD Disk storage manager software.  Since this was one of the procedure to be used mentioned in the site http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ie/en/iebsdt1/powervault-md3820f/md3800fmd3820fdgpub/installing-powervault-md-storage-software?guid=guid-4a166e10-5032-41f9-b324-10e1fcb8e3ff&lang=en-us

Cheers

Ramesh

• 

6.9K Posts

January 30th, 2018 10:00

Hello Ramesh,

Yes the steps are the same for all MD36xx systems. You are correct that you should be able to change the IP address via MDSM.  When that doesn’t work then you can change it via the serial shell, or you can use SMCLI to change the IP address.  Here is a link to the SMCLI guide if you need it. http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/powervault-md3200_cli%20guide_en-us.pdf   

4 Posts

January 31st, 2018 08:00

Hi Sam,

Can you please share a sample CLI command to change default IP to NEW IP with subnetmask, gateway option.  I was searching the CLI doc but could not find it.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ramesh

• 

6.9K Posts

February 6th, 2018 06:00

Hello Ramesh,

Here is the command to set the management IP.

set controller [0 or 1] ethernetPort [0] enableIPv4=true enable IPv4=false IPv4Address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IPv4ConfigurationMethod=static IPv4SubnetMask=255.255.255.0 duplexMode=true portSpeed=[autoNegotiate]

1 Message

January 26th, 2022 20:00

@DELL-Sam L 

Let me try that.. I have been joined to this after all those time passed

No Events found!