Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

February 7th, 2019 03:00

Password Reset Issues on Powervault MD3820f

Hey everyone, we recently moved our entire office to a new location. In this process we also had to shutdown our whole server infrastructure of which we knew would never ever come back up the way it had run before. Now we are facing a rather critical issue for our infrastructure. Our Powervault has an password configured, that seems to be different from the default one. (Althought i found a bunch of default passwords on google) I read the documentation and we actually have firmware version 08.20.09.60 in which the password reset was disabled. On top of that, one of our RAID-Controllers died (Boot-Loop, broken battery), which is another problem. Is there any way to reset the password or even factory reset the Powervault? We do not need any configuration or data back from it. Thanks in advance, kedakai

2 Posts

February 7th, 2019 07:00

Hi Sam,

thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have the cable.

Is there any way we could get a cable that is compatible?

Kind Regards,

Kedakai

• 

6.9K Posts

February 7th, 2019 07:00

Hello Kedakai,

Do you have the Serial cable that came with your MD3800f? If you do have the cable, then you can reset the password on your MD3800i. You will need to start Hyperterminal/Tera Term and configure the serial connection settings with the following parameters:

Baud rate: 115200

Data bits: 8

Parity bit: None

Stop bit: 1

Flow control: None

Once you are connected you will need to hit Ctrl S and the password is supportDell.  Once you are logged in you will be brought to a Prompt with 4 choices. Once there you can select Administrator password reset. Now you will need to do the password reset on each controller using the serial cable.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 

6.9K Posts

February 8th, 2019 06:00

Hello Kedakai,

Here is the Dell part# VPNP6 for the serial/ password reset cable.  You can find them sold by 3rd party vendors as well as Dell.  It is good to have the serial cable as if you have any issue with your controllers we can use the serial cable to capture the bootup of the controller.  If you still have an active warranty on your MD3820f then we can send you a replacement cable. if you don't then you will need to purchase one.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2019 02:00

Did every thing as suggested but does not go past the part where I press CAPS S.

Just goes to next line and it stays there...

Any suggestions?

7 Posts

November 29th, 2019 12:00

i'd like to know actually the type and pinout of the specific cable...i googled so i found vpnp6 as dell pn (or 0vpnv6) but i have some throuble to get one of it here and have no much time too.....md3820f (md38xx) manuals says that default ip is 192.168.129.101/102 but i can't connect....so i thought it was enabled DHCP an no success too....so i'm stucked here...trying to make a cable by myself using some usb and db9 have the real scheme o wires inside the cable...if some angel could help me here....tks

February 1st, 2024 12:02

@DELL-Sam L​ 

hello Sam 

when we reset the admin password the controller will Be restarted? should i do it in down time?

thanks

• 

2.1K Posts

February 1st, 2024 13:17

Hi, although the below document doesn't mention that resetting the admin password on the Dell PowerVault MD38xx usually requires rebooting the controller. I always recommend it's a good practice to perform such operations during a  downtime to avoid any potential disruptions. Because yes the process does not affect the data on the storage array, but it may cause a temporary loss of connectivity to the hosts. There is such a possibility.

Quoted from page 13 Dell EMC PowerVault MD3800f and MD3820f Storage Arrays Owner's Manual "System Password Reset
The storage array password can be reset if it is forgotten. To reset the password, push and hold down the password reset switch for at
least 5 seconds. The password is deleted.
The RAID controller module allows you to change the password.
NOTE: The reset switch can be accessed by using a small object such as the tip of a pen.
NOTE: The password reset switch is not available if your system was shipped after September, 2015. The password
reset switch functionality was disabled starting from controller firmware 08.20.09.60 and later versions."

Hope that helps!

(edited)

February 1st, 2024 15:07

@Dell-ErmanO​ 

Dear ErmanO

the admin password is loss can i do the reset password from serial terminal when i chose Reset Storage Array Administrator

February 1st, 2024 15:07

February 1st, 2024 15:16

@Dell-ErmanO​ 

Dear ErmanO

can i do the below steps to reset admin password ?

Do you have the Serial cable that came with your MD3800f? If you do have the cable, then you can reset the password on your MD3800i. You will need to start Hyperterminal/Tera Term and configure the serial connection settings with the following parameters:

Baud rate: 115200

Data bits: 8

Parity bit: None

Stop bit: 1

Flow control: None

Once you are connected you will need to hit Ctrl S and the password is supportDell.  Once you are logged in you will be brought to a Prompt with 4 choices. Once there you can select Administrator password reset. Now you will need to do the password reset on each controller using the serial cable.

• 

2.1K Posts

February 1st, 2024 15:20

Yes, you can reset the lost admin password from the serial terminal. When you select “Reset Storage Array Administrator”, it will reset the admin password. Here are the steps:

• Connect to the controller using the serial cable.
  • Start configure the serial connection settings.
  • Baud rate: 115200
  • Data bits: 8
  • Parity bit: None
  • Stop bit: 1
  • Flow control: None
  • Once you are connected, hit Ctrl+S and okay I can't share the password directly but you can try your mentioned one. (you can check this thread ‎MD3000i Password Reset | DELL Technologies)
  • Once you are logged in, you will be brought to a prompt with 4 choices. Select Reset Storage Array Administrator.

This will reset the admin password. Remember, don't forget to saving a backup of your important data is a smart thing to do.

February 1st, 2024 16:07

@Dell-ErmanO​ 

Dear Erman

Can this cause data loss if I initialize the password for the admin user?

thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

February 1st, 2024 16:11

Yassine.ouni,,

While the process shouldn't be a risk to the data, we always recommend that before working with the storage you should always have a complete backup.

Let me know if this helps.

February 1st, 2024 20:29

@DELL-Chris H​ 

Dear Chris

should i do this steps to reset admin password for both controlller? or just for one?

thanks 

• 

8.4K Posts

February 1st, 2024 20:40

You can do it on both controllers individually..

No Events found!