Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

May 6th, 2021 07:00

PowerVault ME4 iSCSI / vSphere 7.0 / S/W iSCSI Login Timeout & Queue Depth settings.

Hi,

Are there any recommendations for configuring the vSphere ESXi Software iSCSI login timeout and/or queue depth settings with the PowerVault ME4024?.

I have reviewed the Dell EMC PowerVault ME4 Series and VMware vSphere (Oct 2020) best practice guide and there is no mention of either setting.

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

M

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

May 6th, 2021 12:00

Hello,

Queue depth is going to depend on whatever is controlling your storage. For example, the default queue depth for an Emulex controller is 64. You'll want to use the least queue depth.  The admin guide mentions the queue depth subject, but what I got from it was essentially "monitor queue depth and you can adjust accordingly, but the minimum is desirable." Unlike an MD, an ME system should pick the best setup at deployment. I don't think you'd need to adjust it much.

Admin Guide: https://dell.to/3nS1Q6w

To answer your other question, the minimum login timeout you'd want to have is 1 minute.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

May 7th, 2021 00:00

Thanks @Dell-DylanJ 

I am using the VMware vSphere Software iSCSI adapter; not a hardware iSCSI adapter, as the ME4 only supports S/W iSCSI adapters AFAIK.

Do you have a Dell technical document that references setting the LoginTimeout to 1 minute for the ME4 with vSphere?

Cheers

M

• 

8.8K Posts

May 7th, 2021 06:00

The document you will need is located here, and outlines the following steps;

Disabling Delayed Ack :

1. In the vSphere Client, ensure the host is selected on the left and then click on the Configuration tab
  2. Click on Storage Adapters underneath Hardware
  3. Find your iSCSI Software Adapter in the list, right click it and choose Properties
  4. Click on the Dynamic Discovery tab
  5. Click on the Settings button
  6. Click on the Advanced button
  7. Scroll down until you see DelayedAck
  8. Uncheck Inherit from Parent
  9. Uncheck DelayedAck
  10. Click the OK button
  11. Reboot the host

Increasing iSCSI Login Timeout :

1. Connect to the host via SSH
  2.  Find your vmhba for your iSCSI Software Adapter :
  3. # esxcfg-scsidevs -a | grep -i "iscsi software adapter"