Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2014 15:00

Powervault purchase

Hi,

I am trying to purchase a second hand powervault for our business thus we can use it for restoring data .

currently if we do this with the live system , then we can't do the daily back up as what we are trying to restore is 1tb on lt03 and times it takes to do this is in excess of 10 hours.

I am not great with tapes but here are my questions and I greatly appreciate your help

I am either looking at 124t or tl2000, which one would you recommand ?

1.if it is tl2000 with fiber , I guess I could plug it to a normal machine providing I get a fiber to ethernet , correct or even the current live server if I get a fiber to rj 45?

2.if 124t is scsi or sas , do I need controller for them to be installed on the server ?

3.I have seeing a listing on ebay saying no drive for tl2000, what does that mean ?

4.if I get a lt04 , it can read the 2 previous version thus lt03, correct ?

5.you see some devices coming with rj45 or usb, but are they for management rather than data transfer ?

I think you only have fiber, sas and scsi for data transfer.

overall what I think we need is , rack unit , the device which is either tl2000 or tl124 and controller if it is 124 t with scsi,or sas , is this correct ? 

can I buy the controller desperately ?

apologies for number of questions and your help is greatly appreciated .

Regards

• 

7.1K Posts

October 27th, 2014 08:00

Hello stranger12,

1.if it is tl2000 with fiber , I guess I could plug it to a normal machine providing I get a fiber to ethernet , correct or even the current live server if I get a fiber to rj 45? With the TL2000 it can use SAS, iSCSI, or Fibre to connect the tape drive to the server. If you are wanting to get a fibre TL2000 then you will also need to get a Fibre HBA for the server as the TL2000 doesn’t support FCOE.

2.if 124t is scsi or sas , do I need controller for them to be installed on the server ? Yes you will need to get a controller for the PV124T to connect to the server unless you already have an SCSI or SAS controller.

3.I have seeing a listing on ebay saying no drive for tl2000, what does that mean ? So that means that they are selling the TL2000 chassis without a tape drive in it. Some customer who need a replacement chassis due to theirs not working anymore but the drives still work just fine will get a replacement chassis without the drives.

4.if I get a lt04 , it can read the 2 previous version thus lt03, correct ? With LTO you can read & write one generation back & read only 2 generations back. So if you get an LTO4 drive you can read & write to LTO3 media & read only LTO2 media. Here is a link to the LTO media guide as well. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/Common/powervault-lto-110t_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

5.you see some devices coming with rj45 or usb, but are they for management rather than data transfer ? Yes with the TL2000 & PV124T both the RJ45 ports are used for management of the device. Only the TL2000 using the iSCSI bridge can you use RJ45 connections to the server.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

11 Posts

November 1st, 2014 13:00

many thanks, is it possible for us to upgrade our lto 03 drive to lt05 with the same chassis ?

• 

7.1K Posts

November 4th, 2014 08:00

Hello stranger12,

If you have a TL2000 yes you can upgrade the drive from LTO3 to an LTO5.  

11 Posts

November 4th, 2014 15:00

Hi,

how is the upgrade process? do I keep the chassis and change the internals ?

• 

7.1K Posts

November 5th, 2014 05:00

Hello stranger12,

When you upgrade your TL2000 what you will do is to change out the tape drive from the rear of the TL2000.  Once that is done then you will need to install the drivers for the new tape drive & go through your backup software & reinstall the drivers that it needs to see the new drive.  Once that is complete you should be all set to run your backups.  

No Events found!