Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2015 02:00

Powevault RD 1000 detected as removable storage, NOT as tape drive.

Hi,

I have 2 Dell PowerEdge servers that are being configured as Backup Exec Servers. 

Same OS (WIndows Server 2012 Standard)

Same Tape Drive and driver (Dell Powervault RD 1000)

Both OS Detect the Tape drive in device manager

RD1000.JPG

But on one server it is detected as a removable storage device.

RD 1000 external.JPG

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver and rebooted the server. It is still detected as a removable storage and BAckup Exec cannot detect is an a tape drive.

ANy input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

16 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 02:00

Ok, problem solved. It should be detected as disk cartridge. I was doing it earlier as a "Tape Storage" device

1 Message

July 25th, 2015 18:00

pxtian, how did you get it to be seen as a disk cartridge?

• 

6.9K Posts

July 27th, 2015 10:00

Hello pxtian,

As you have found out with the RD1000 you have to configure it as a backup to disk target instead of backup to tape device.  When you are configuring your backup to disk target it will give you an option to select the folder in which that you want to send the file to & that is when you will select the RD1000.  Now you need to make sure that there is a cartridge in the RD1000 so that it can format it with the settings of the B2D backup.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

16 Posts

July 28th, 2015 02:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for you inputs. Is there any reason why on the other server, the tape device is not being detected as removable storage?

16 Posts

July 28th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

Are you trying it as well using Backup Exec? In storage, just right click -> disk-based storage -> Disk Cartridge device until the wizard finishes.

• 

6.9K Posts

July 28th, 2015 08:00

Hello pxtian,

With the RD1000 they are seen as removable storage instead of Tape drives.  The biggest reason for this is the cartridge which is seen like a HDD instead of a tape device.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

October 25th, 2023 08:31

Hi,
I have Dell PowerEdge R740 servers that are being configured as Veeam Backup & Replication 12 Servers. Please Note that the Tape drive is connected through USB 3.0 and driver (Dell PowerVault RD 1000), It is still detected as a removable storage, cannot be detected is an a tape drive.
Thanks in advance

• 

2.2K Posts

25-10-2023 09:43 AM

Hi, please check driver is up to date Support for PowerVault RD1000 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

I don't know RD1000 is listed as a supported device for Veeam backup & replication 12. You can check it and might be use another one. I found this thread Dell Powervault Tape Loader - R&D Forums (https://dell.to/406yYL7) It could be worth to try change library mode.

DELL-Erman O

Social Media and Communities Professional

Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services

#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Mark as Accepted Answer’. ‘Thumbs up’ the posts you like!

No Events found!