Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2016 09:00

Seagate -Uncertified Drive- PowerVault 3220

Help!!

Hi All,

I need some support or guidance on this PowerVault 3220 SAS issue. I have the following firmware on the PowerVault:

MD Storage Manager®                                        
   AMW Version:              11.20.0G06.0001               
   Report Date:              Wed Feb 10 15:55:01 MST 2016  

Storage Array                                              
   Storage Array Name:       APEX-DAS1                     
   Current Package Version:  08.20.12.60                   
   Current NVSRAM Version:   N26X0-820890-008              
   Staged Package Version:   None                          
   Staged NVSRAM Version:    None                          

RAID Controller Modules                                    
   Board ID:                 2660                          
   Sub-Model ID:             136                           

Board ID:                 2660                          
   Sub-Model ID:             136                      

There was failure on slot 3 as you can see below it does not contain current firmware.

Enclosure, Drawer, Slot:     Manufacturer:     Product ID:          Physical Disk Type:            Capacity:        Physical Disk firmware version:     FPGA Version: (SSD only)  
   Enclosure 0, Slot 0          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     278.896 GB       YS08                                Not Available             
   Enclosure 0, Slot 1          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     278.896 GB       YS08                                Not Available             
   Enclosure 0, Slot 2          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     278.896 GB       YS08                                Not Available             
   Enclosure 0, Slot 3          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     279.396 GB       0002                                Not Available             
   Enclosure 0, Slot 4          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     278.896 GB       YS08                                Not Available             
   Enclosure 0, Slot 5          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     278.896 GB       YS08                                Not Available             
   Enclosure 0, Slot 6          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     278.896 GB       YS08                                Not Available             
   Enclosure 0, Slot 7          SEAGATE           ST9300653SS          Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)     278.896 GB       YS08                                Not Available            

I have located a older firmware YS0A, however am unable to apply to single drive due to the uncertified status.

Anyone got suggestions? I have seen a thread on here stating to update controller firmware, however it contains the latest. I don't have any free slots to create another array. So, I am kinda stuck on how to get this single drive updated. I do have another Dell system I could possibly update the firmware using Linux (VMWare Host) update...however that is just as difficult for down time. Is there a method around this to update single SAS drive firmware?

I thought Dell updated firmware so that this non-Dell purchased Hard Drive would be resolved. However seems not to be the case.

If any one has suggestions, or further questions. Please let me know.

• 

6.9K Posts

February 22nd, 2016 11:00

Hello AZSystems,

First off when working with a Dell MD3xxx system you need to use dell drives with dell part# on the drives into the MD3xxx. Here is a link to the support matrix for the current version of firmware that you are running & if you look on page 25 at the top it states the following “Note: Only the physical disk drives with a Dell part number listed in Table 12 are supported.” http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/md32xx_md36xx_support%20matrix_en.pdf

What you can do to try & get the drive seen is to insert the drive into a dell server & try & flash the firmware on the drive and then once it is at the correct firmware version then you can insert it into the MD 3220 and see if the MD will see the drive. If the MD still will not see the drive without flagging it as uncertified with the correct firmware then the drive will have to be replaced by a dell drive from the list in the link.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 12:00

Sam,

Thank you. Yes, I was aware of the Dell certified drives. I found this out via many other posts. The Dell firmware is key and does not seem to be worth the effort to attempt with other Dell hardware or the MD3xxx. I tried with another Dell SAS capable server and anything none Dell just does not allow the update of firmware. I can see both sides, however I thought this Dell only was supposed to be corrected by a firmware version. I did not see this at all and became a time=money decision to get a Dell drive.  

Thanks for the response.

No Events found!