Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2013 07:00

Virtual Disk not on preferred path due to failover - MD3200

I have a Dell MD3200 series SAN that I'm using for DR.  I've been having some trouble lately running offsite replications to it with Veeam and it appears to be a problem with the SAN.  I'm not able to browse the datastores that were setup on it in VMware (times out).  I'm using VMware ESX 5.1 and backing up with Veeam from my main site to the DR site.  When I check the PowerVault storage manager for problems there is only one error:

Virtual Disk Not On Preferred Path

I have the results from the Support Information utility which I can post if needed.  I'm not very familiar with this SAN and would very much appreciate any assistance.

• 

6.9K Posts

March 6th, 2013 10:00

Hello danbrown1888,

Your setup is not correct.  What you need to do is to setup each nic on a different vswitch and give each one a different so subnet to go with different subnets for each  iSCSI ports from the MD3200i.  with only having 1 port that is why your data store is changing paths & doesn’t want to change back.  Here is a link to our deployment guide & if you look on page 34 there is a worksheet that helps you setup the connections correctly.  ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-md3200i_Deployment%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Once that is done then you should be good and shouldn’t have any other issues with not being able to connect to your data store.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 

6.9K Posts

March 6th, 2013 08:00

Hello danbrown1888,

In MDSM you can change the preferred path back to the correct controller or change the owner to the controller that the VD is on. Just right click the virtual disk and under change you change the current owner, which also changes the preferred owner. Only when a disk is on a non-preferred controller does it let you change controller without changing the preferred (you can then chose to just change the preference or change the disk to the other controller).

Also you state that when you do a scan on VMware that the storage isn’t getting seen & times out.  That sound like your data store is only getting seen by one controller and not both as if that happens when the data store move from primary controller to secondary. I would confirm that your data store has access to both controllers so that if you’re VD moves from one controller to the other it will not lose connection to the data store.

Excellent, I came to the same conclusion about 5 minutes ago.  I see the exact option you are referencing.  Is this a safe operation to perform with live servers or would I need to shut everything down first and do it off hours?  Also, could you please elaborate on how to make sure that both controllers have access to the datastore?  Thank you for the help!

• 

6.9K Posts

Hello danbrown1888,

Yes you can change the ownership while the servers are active it will not impact production as it will cache the changes and write them to the VD once changed which is quick.

For your data store you need to have a minimum of 2 cables from each controller on the MD to the server.  if you could take a screen shot of your Vswitch for your iSCSI as I would like to make sure that the connections are set correctly.

March 6th, 2013 09:00

Hi Sam

Here is the screenshot:

Does that look ok to you?

March 6th, 2013 10:00

Perfect, thank you for all of your help!

March 7th, 2013 05:00

Good morning, I hope its ok if I bug you with another question on this topic.  I reviewed the guide and I'm planning to head out to our datacenter to rewire the san in a couple of weeks.  For now I have to try and get it working as well as I can until I can get there.  I found that it failed over again to the second controller last night and I was wondering if you could help me track down the root cause of the failover.  While I understand it is not setup correctly it had been working reasonably well for more than 6 months in the current configuration.  I am unsure why it is failing over to the second controller and wanted to see if that could be addressed until I can travel there and redo the wiring.  Thank you in advance for any further help you could provide!

• 

6.9K Posts

March 7th, 2013 07:00

Hello danbrown1888,

I sure can.  I will send you an email.  I need you to pull a support bundle from your MD so that I can review it & let you know what I see.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2015 23:00

Hello Sam,

I have problem "Virtual Disk Not On Preferred Path" the same with danbrown1888,

Here is my screenshot:

Does that look like setup is not correct ?

• 

6.9K Posts

November 18th, 2015 12:00

Hello suherman,

The alert on the system is due to a virtual disk not being on the preferred path. When virtual disks are created, they are assigned to one of the two controllers as a preferred communication path. If that path is not available – due to a network issue, controller reset, etc. – the array will communicate via the alternate controller. In some cases the communication does not shift back to the primary path when it becomes available again.  To correct this you just need to manually redistribute the virtual disks back to their preferred paths.

To redistribute virtual disks:

1.            Open Modular Disk Storage Manager (MDSM)

2.            Click on the Support tab

3.            Select Manage Raid Controller Modules

4.            Click on Redistribute Virtual Disks

•             You will get an alert telling you that this will disrupt communications if you do not have the multipath drivers installed. You can ignore this message and proceed. If you still have access to the virtual disk that is not on preferred path, you have multipath drivers installed

3 Posts

November 18th, 2015 16:00

3 Posts

November 18th, 2015 16:00

Hello Sam,

I 've try to "Redistribute Virtual Disks" . but a few minutes later back again to the same alert.

Here my screenshot:

Does that look like setup is not correct ?

No Events found!