Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2011 07:00

"Incorrect Function" when Initializing a iSCSI Target

I am having issues when trying to create a 3.7TB partition on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I keep getting the following error when I try to initilize an iscsi target:

What am I doing wrong.  The target is not part of a cluster.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried initilizating the disk with both MBR and GPT partitions and all do the same thing.

9.3K Posts

March 12th, 2011 08:00

Did you install the MD software on the server (at least the host software) and establish iSCSI connections to both raid controllers? It sounds like possibly you are connecting to one controller, but the virtual disk is owned by the other controller.

16 Posts

March 16th, 2011 17:00

I had it connecting to the wrong controller.

Thanks!

15 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 05:00

Hi, i don't know if is correct to expand this question, but it's quite a bit related with my problem.

My Disk array is a MD3620f (fiber).

I'm with the same problem of the incorrect function when initializing a disk on Windows Disk Management. I've changed the connection to the right controller and the initialization error disappeared, but when i try to create an partition on the initialized disk i shows a popup that says: "The parameter is incorrect".

The same disk mapped to a linux machine works fine, no errors.

The intention was to connect the windows machine on a fiber switch in witch happens to be connect the md3620f and a tape library TL4000. For test purpose i've connected the machine directly to the controller port and the result was the same.

By the way, sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for any attention.

Brosig

• 

6.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 09:00

Hello Brosig,

When you are trying to partition the virtual disk from the windows host has the virtual disk finished initializing in MDSM? Also does the host have access to both controllers on the MD3620f or does it only have access to a single controller?

You also stated that the same virtual disk is mapped to a linux machine & it works, are you trying to have both the linux host & the windows host have access to the same virtual disk at the same time? Here is a link to the administrator guide for your MD3620f & if you look on page 90 it explains storage partitioning. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/Common/powervault-md3200_Administrator%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

15 Posts

December 5th, 2014 06:00

Hi Sam,
Thanks for your time.
When i've tried to partition the disk it was already initialized be de MDSM.
On this moment the Host has access to both controllers, but i've tried in several forms. Host directly connected to controller 0, Host directly connected to controller 1, host connected to fiber switch and both controllers connected to the fiber switch, and so on.

On this moment the configuration is this:

About the mapping: the idea with one of the virtual disks is to make it available to one HostGroup, so i can use it with different servers and with the machine responsible for backup on tape. Reading the Administrator Guide i've seen no reference of limitations based on different Operating Systems on the same group, i'm right?

As my configuration was not working, i've tried to map two Virtual Disks to different machines. The one on Windows host have the problem that avoid me to partition/format it, the one on linux host has no problems.

For tests purposes, i've switched the mapping. The virtual disk partitioned on the linux host became visible on the windows host (after a reboot of the host) but i'm still not able to format it.

Another thing that is happening is that with both controllers connected on the fiber switch the virtual disks becomes visible twice, although the MDSM displays an alert warning that the Virtual Disk Not on Preferred Path:

It appears to me that some configuration is missing on the windows host, but i'm not able to find any reference of it on the Manuals.

Again, thanks for your time

Brosig

15 Posts

December 5th, 2014 08:00

Sorry, a just found the reference of Hosts Operating Systems:

"All hosts in a host group must have the same host type (operating system). In addition, all hosts in the host group must

have special software, such as clustering software, to manage virtual disk sharing and accessibility." pg. 57

But still, on a single Windows host i don't figure out how to make it work.

No Events found!