Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2011 08:00

what is the ideal disk distribution in MD32xx arrays

Hi,

I have an array with two enclosures: MD3220 and MD1220.  MD3220 has two SAS controllers. The array will be configured with a two large RAID6s and one large RAID10.  Each RAID will have from 1 to 3 virtual disks.  Should I spread disks of each RAID set across the enclosures or try to keep them within the same enclosure?

Thx

9.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 17:00

This can't be answered without more information about things like:

- what size and speed disks in each of the disk groups?

- what do you want to do with this?

- what is your read/write ratio?

- what is the nature if your IO?

- what is the OS of the system(s) that will be connecting to this storage?

This info can give a bit of feedback, but it would still be hard to give an "ideal disk distribution" recommendation.

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 00:00

I thought the answers to the above questions allow to better specify RAID type, number of disks, etc - these are already decided.  The question in here is: place n drives configured in RAID6 or M drives configured in RAID10 in a single enclosure or spread them across multiple enclosures?

847 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 08:00

You can do both....    For sanity's sake?   I like complete diskgroups on one enclosure with the exception of RAID 10.  With RAID 10 it does seem possible to achieve full enclosure protection if the corresponding mirrored drives are on a different enclosure.

Performance wise?  I don't think it really matters.

847 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 08:00

PS:  My experience in these matters are only on the MD3000i's....

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 09:00

Thx.  I thought the same from the redundancy perspective.  Just did not know if an enclosure might have some perf limitations and striping across enclosures would have provide me with a better perf - doesn't look this way.  Thx again

No Events found!