Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

July 13th, 2018 13:00

Can't boot NVMe SSD on Precision T3600 Workstation

Firstly thank you for any help you can give me.

I have a T3600 workstation and I bought a Western Digital WD Black NVMe SSD. I'm using a m.2 to PCIe adapter and connected it to a PCIe X4 slot.

The problem is that I'm unable to boot Windows 10 on my new SSD.

Here's what happens: I'm installing Windows 10 from an USB stick. I can see the SSD on Windows installation process. I can create partitions and start to install it normally. When the first step of installation finishes, the computer reboots and I can see the Windows Boot Manager on the UEFI boot options, but when I try to boot it, it does not proceed to boot and the screen turns black.

When I press the up/down arrows on the keyboard, the boot options render on the screen again, but when I select Windows Boot Manager and press ENTER, the screen turns black again and I'm stuck into this loop.

Does somebody have any idea on how to make this work?

Thanks in advance, again.

5 Posts

August 7th, 2018 15:00

Have you tried the procedures outlined in the following link.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/audhs1/sln300820/what-are-pcie-ssds-and-how-to-use-them-as-a-boot-drive-for-a-dell-pc-?lang=en

I also have a T3600 so I am keen to see it work.

May 6th, 2019 10:00

I successfully boot Win10/W2016 off an Intel SSD NVMe M.2 on PCIe riser card connected to a PCIe x4 slot.
I goto win-raid forum and use 
   Booting the NVME drive from older-UEFI capable board - REFIND mass-storage without DUET - with USBSetup

Please see my post in "Precision T5600 PCIe boot success". 

It is not a direct UEFI boot of the SSD NVMe but there is an intermediate USB boot

• BIOS UEFI boot -> USB (FAT32) \EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi <-> \EFI\Boot\drivers\NvmExpressDxe.efi 
       -> SSD_NVMe_Windows_BootMgr -> Win10 or W2012/W2016

145 Posts

August 28th, 2019 16:00

FWIW the Win-Raid link above is: https://www.win-raid.com/t3286f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-for-systems-with-legacy-BIOS-and-older-UEFI-DUET-REFIND.html

I came upon this topic as I was evaluating a refurb T3610. Seems like a pretty hacky solution that might be especially tricky with Windows 10 updates. I wouldn't do it.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2019 18:00

Just completed a successful Windows 10 Pro install on a 500 GB NMVe m.2 drive on a plug in PCIe card in my T3610. I followed the instructions in the Win-RAID.ORG forum post here:

NVME boot via Clover utility 

I used the Clover utility on a 4 GB flash drive that plugs into the T3610's internal USB port just above the power supply. With the NvmExpressDxe-64.efi file copied over to the \EFI\Clover\drivers\BIOS folder and the UEFI folder (my version of Clover didn't have a drivers64 or a drivers64UEFI folder) from the off folder (I left the BIOS in Legacy mode) then just boot that UBS drive and Clover sets up to boot Windows 10 from the NVME drive in EFI mode and it's a lightning fast 3 second boot to the sign-on screen.

Still learning about Clover but the NVMe EFI boot was the first choice on my Clover menu so all I did was press enter and Windows 10 booted up on the m.2 NMVe drive. This is a fantastic utility for all BIOS' without native NMVe support. 

590 Posts

October 7th, 2019 10:00

I'm also using Clover to provide Windows 10 boot support for a M.2 NVMe SSD (a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB), although in a different Dell machine which doesn't even have a UEFI BIOS (a 2009 X58 chipset Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000).

The "trick" to avoiding problems with Windows 10 updates, as pointed out in the Clover link thread above, is to make sure the Windows 10 NVMe disk is initialized GPT and not MBR. 

Additionally, I did the initial Windows 10 install through Clover or it's EFI Shell, as well as all future boots.  I let the Windows 10 1903 install do all the NVMe disk partitioning as it saw fit.  Finally, I run Clover from a total different disk (actually a bootable USB thumbdrive) than the NVMe SSD so Windows 10 has the NVMe all to itself - Windows and Clover don't conflict and both try to make changes to the NVMe drive.

No Events found!