Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

8 Posts

February 18th, 2019 07:00

Choosing a monitor and a graphics card for my Dell 3430

Hello, I am looking forward to buy a Dell 3430 SFF machine. I confess that I do not have much idea about graphics cards and their compatibility with a given monitor. I have got two monitors and two graphics cards on my mind:

Monitors:

1. Dell P2418D
2. Dell P2219H

Graphics cards:

1. AMD Radeon WX4100
2. AMD Radeon WX3100

I am not sure if all combinations of the above mentioned monitors and graphics cards will work (really confused with mDP and DP). Will I have to buy some adapters / cables to convert one display port / interface to another?

Please note that I will be primary using this machine for programming (and not for games and videos). It would be great if the white text looks neat on the black background with a reasonably small font size. But, then again I am not sure the P2418D (with higher PPI) monitor would be compatible with which graphics card.

Although the Radeon WX4100 has more muscle, the WX3100 is newer. Looking the "Footnote" section for the above mentioned graphics cards makes me feel like the WX3100 has been tested thoroughly.

Please help me choose. Thank you.

573 Posts

February 19th, 2019 05:00

Hi @babon ,

Name of display port tells it all. Mini-DP is the mini version of general DP. Only different in port size but same preference when base on same version. Take WX3100 as example, it comes with 1 DP port and 2 mini-DP ports, all at version 1.4. Therefore their preference are the same. Just provide options for user to connect monitors with different DP port size.

For the 2 Dell displays you quoted, both with DP port and no mini-DP port, and box with 1 DP-to-DP cable. And for the 2 display cards, WX4100 comes with 4 mini-DP only while WX3100 with 1x DP port + 2x mini-DP port. Therefore WX3100 fit for both monitors mentioned above with no extra cables or adapter needed, while a miniDP-to-DP cable will be needed if you choose WX4100.

For which combination to choose, I believe you already know the technical difference between the 2 displays and 2 cards. And sometimes, again, price tells it all. The Dell 24" price at almost a double while it got a larger screen, larger native resolution, and smaller pixel patch value and biar biar biar... And for the cards, Wiki says the original release price for WX4100 almost a double of WX3100 as well.

You know, money never lies. Choose the one good enough to fit your needs.

573 Posts

February 19th, 2019 06:00

Hi @babon ,

Oh yes adapters should be included then, or I cannot think of any other meanings of these few words.

Wait.. there is no "s" at the end of the word "adapter"... not sure if it's a typo but sounds like a traditional fraud, right? Better check it with Dell online sales.:Stickouttongue:

8 Posts

February 19th, 2019 06:00

@bmcowboy wrote:

Therefore WX3100 fit for both monitors mentioned above with no extra cables or adapter needed, while a miniDP-to-DP cable will be needed if you choose WX4100.

Thanks a lot @bmcowboy .

If I choose WX4100 while configuring on this page, will the miniDP-to-DP cables be included in the box? Or will I have to buy them separately?

The link above mentions the following option while selecting a graphics card:

"Radeon Pro WX 4100, 4GB, 4 mDP to DP adapter"

To me this sounds like Dell will be providing 4 mDP to DP adapters in the box.

No Events found!