Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

April 7th, 2018 07:00

Dell Precision T3500 Power Issue!

Hey guys and gals, before giving up on this system and moving on to another build, I wanted to see if Dell forums could offer me any help. I tried to post this in “Desktop General” but it wouldn’t let me so here I am in Inspiron. Anyways, when I plug my T3500 into the wall, the fans come on, the GPU lights up, the motherboard light comes on, and the BIST light on the back of the desktop stays lit. The power button is not lit up at all, but two lights on the front of the desktop stay solid (I’m not sure what they are, looks like the HDD icon and maybe Ethernet? Icon) but no numbers. When I try and press the power button, nothing happens. It’s almost like the system is already on and running without me pressing power and nothing comes up on my monitor. Any idea what is going on here?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 7th, 2018 12:00

@ZeroKasualtywrote:
Hey guys and gals, before giving up on this system and moving on to another build, I wanted to see if Dell forums could offer me any help. I tried to post this in “Desktop General” but it wouldn’t let me so here I am in Inspiron. Anyways, when I plug my T3500 into the wall, the fans come on, the GPU lights up, the motherboard light comes on, and the BIST light on the back of the desktop stays lit. The power button is not lit up at all, but two lights on the front of the desktop stay solid (I’m not sure what they are, looks like the HDD icon and maybe Ethernet? Icon) but no numbers. When I try and press the power button, nothing happens. It’s almost like the system is already on and running without me pressing power and nothing comes up on my monitor. Any idea what is going on here?

It's about 9 years old, so even if it was working, what would you do with it ... what is the use-case? Does it even have Windows-7 tied to it?

I suggest you trouble-shoot it like a normal computer (those are pretty stock inside ... however, it might be BTX). My guess would be Power-Supply or Motherboard.

Maybe start with its PDF manuals and a Google/YouTube search. You can learn to be a computer-technician (which is what it sounds like you need right about now) :Smile:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 7th, 2018 12:00

Probably should re-post this in the Precision Fixed Workstation forum. :Wink:

April 8th, 2018 08:00

Thanks for the link, will repost in that forum.

This computer was built in December of 2017. The desktop itself is from 2011/2012 so its only about 5 or 6 years old. It’s running an Intel Xeon W3690 6 core 12 thread CPU clocked at 3.47ghz, an nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, and the OS is Windows 10. If it was a faulty power supply, why would the GPU, the motherboard standby light, and the fans power on? Userbenchmark rated the build a “Battle Cruiser” level for gaming, so I’d like to try and save it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 8th, 2018 09:00

@ZeroKasualtywrote:
If it was a faulty power supply, why would the GPU, the motherboard standby light, and the fans power on? Userbenchmark rated the build a “Battle Cruiser” level for gaming, so I’d like to try and save it.

PC Power Supplies (SMPS) have various different circuits for different voltages. When they fail, it's common to loose just one circuit (or it "breaks-down under load"). You test Power Supply with a $25 Digital Power Supply Tester.

Yeah, maybe it's something else. Start trouble-shooting ... we can't tell from here.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Desktop-General-Hardware-Troubleshooting/m-p/5555517#M57436

Edited

No Events found!