Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2018 11:00

Dell R7910 with PERC H730P RAID does not see physical SSD's

We have a Dell R7910 Rackmount Precision Workstation that was originally ordered with two hard drives in a non-RAID configuration with no RAID controller.  This box has an onboard socket to install the PERC mini form factor RAID controllers.  We had another box (different model) that used the same part number PERC H730P mini RAID controller (the same controller that was an option on a new R7910) as well as a stockpile of Crucial 1TB SSD 2.5" drives.  The plan, as explained to the salesperson, was to order with the minimum hard drive configuration and as we decommission our other box, we would move the RAID controller and then load up 8 SSD's.

Flash forward 13 months, and the other server was decommissioned.  I installed the H730P controller and eight 1TB 2.5" SSD's into the R7910 with no issues hardware wise.

The problem is that when I configure the RAID controller, there are no physical drives.

In System Settings / SATA Settings when I set it to anything but RAID (or off) I then see the PERC controller but it does not see any physical drives or virtual arrays (I cleared the previous configuration) AND I see two Intel eRST software controllers in Device Configuration and can successfully configure software RAID arrays up to 4 SSD's each.  When I select RAID Mode and return to Device Configuration, I only see the PERC H730P Mini controller, but again it does not see any virtual arrays or physical drives with which to configure an array. 

I have run through the system diagnostics on the PERC H730P controller and every other thing it can test with absolutely no problems.  

I have hard rebooted many, many times.  :-)

I have looked and can find no other cables, jumpers or anything else to convert from software RAID to a hardware add-on RAID - the only configuration appears to be the cables from the backplane to the motherboard.  I thought that maybe the backplane SAS cables needed to connect to the RAID controller, but this does not appear to be the case.

I am unable to find any hardware or system setting that will allow the PERC H730P mini to see the eight installed SSD's.

I did have one suggestion that I may have the incorrect drive backplane installed.  I was not aware there were options but in searching every forum, secondary/refurb hardware site, even eBay, it appears that the only backplane available for this server is the TGNMY (also listed as 0TGNMY), which is what I have installed.

I am open to and appreciative of any ideas anyone may have.  Am I missing a setting?  A jumper?  Wrong cables? Is there a different backplane?  Am I just going crazy?

Thanks in advance!

September 6th, 2018 10:00

Yes, I was just crazy.  All that is needed is a new cable - instead of the one that runs from the backplane to the motherboard I need the one that goes from the backplane to the RAID controller itself.  Now to just find the correct cable... 

July 17th, 2018 21:00

Hello .

Have you updated the latest drivers for the Dell 7910?
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-r7910-workstation/drivers

Example: Bios / raid H730 mini mono .

July 18th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the problem is long before any operating system is loaded - the system has no virtual volumes, no partitions, no drives at this stage.  This is a clean installation.  The firmware on the PERC H730P is at the latest firmware, as is the R7910 itself.

July 26th, 2018 14:00

Has no one experienced a new RAID controller not seeing drives?  I'm sure I can't be the only person to ever have this issue...?  Although with my luck, maybe.

8 Posts

February 20th, 2019 11:00

Hello, by any chance did you find the correct cable? I have exactly same computer R7910 and raid controller H730P, and are trying to find the correct SAS cables which is next to impossible. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks, PerAnCa
No Events found!