Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CM

11 Posts

March 7th, 2019 11:00

Precision 3630 Keyboard Pauses and Character Repeats

We have a couple of dozen Precision 3630 machines that have intermittent keyboard freezes and repeating characters.  It only occurs with a physical keyboard, but it does not seem to matter so far which wired keyboard is being used with 3 different Dell models tried.  It happens on both the out of the box Dell image and our custom Windows 10 image of 1809 built using the Dell build guide.  All drivers/firmware/BIOS are up to date.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln314148/precision-3630-tower-workstation-windows-10-driver-install-order?lang=en

We finally have a case open with Dell support and they could immediately reproduce the issue in their engineering group.  We are waiting on a fix but no ETA thus far.  It happens from as little as once or twice per day to as often as every 5 minutes or so depending on how much keyboard activity is present.

It does not happen when remotely controlling the system with RDP or a third party tool like Dameware MRC, only when using a physical keyboard.  We have not seen it in BIOS mode though that testing was very limited in duration.

This Precision 3630 system uses a single USB 3.x bus interface to control all of the USB devices and it seems to be a part of the Intel C246 Chipset and the mouse/keyboard is about the only active device on the USB 3.x root hub.  (all Intel/Microsoft drivers as far as we can tell)

I have searched Dell and non-Dell sites but have found no other mention of this problem so I am documenting it here so others might benefit.

There are similar problems symptom-wise with both the 7730 TB16/TB18 Thunderbolt Docks pairings and the XPS-13.  The XPS-13 currently needs a new BIOS to fix the issue.  It is not clear whether there is a 100% fix yet for the TB docks.  Dell just released another BIOS and set of driver updates today (2019-03-07) and several more updates have hit earlier this week for the 7730 family.

XPS-13 Issue

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297563/xps-13-9343-unwanted-keyboard-character-repeat?lang=en

Various Thunderbolt Dock Issues

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2165595-thunderbolt-docks-not-ready-for-prime-time

Most recent Thunderbolt dock solution

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/TB18DC-Driver-Update-Not-Easy-to-Find-so-here-it-is/m-p/6210686#M884

In any case if anyone else has seen the problem save yourself hours of frustration and just see if the as-delivered Dell OS image has the issue.  We followed their instructions for building a duplicate OS carefully but they would not offer anything except "You need to rebuild your OS image to fix your problem so until then I cannot help you." or "The problem is your OS image, and you need to fix that.". 

We already had spent many hours troubleshooting and eliminating everything else before we ever called, but they were not convinced or helpful in anyway whatsoever.  Even though we explained all the steps and painstakingly detailed how we had taken them in following their OS installation guides and setup recommendations.  Same answer.

Once we proved to them that the as-delivered image also had the issue only then they would pass it along for further support. These Dell systems and their images were delivered last fall around the end of November so this is not only a recent issue.  We can assume there is a BIOS fix and/or driver update needed, but we have very little to go on otherwise.

In any case we do hope a fix is ready soon, but at least if you see this you will know you are not alone and please comment here as well.

Good Luck and have a Great Day!

1 Message

March 19th, 2019 06:00

We have the same problem with our 3630s. We can consistently reproduce the problem if we move the mouse around. It seems to occur more when the video is connected to the ATI W2100 card. While using the onboard video, the problem doesn't seem to occur as often or occur at all.

March 19th, 2019 08:00

There is a suggestion from the Dell support team that USB 2 devices in the USB 3 ports have more trouble. We also have better luck currently using some Logitech wireless keyboards and some older PS/2 keyboards in the 3630 PS/2 ports. USB->PS/2 converters have not worked at all only native PS/2 keyboards. We have the problem only on machines with the Intel on-board video in use. Dell has a problem resolution team who are now involved and they have been interested in working this through. We we are thankful for their assistance.

July 16th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for creating this thread. I have suffered this same stutter, delay issue since I bought the machine. It is frustrating to say the least.

I am utilizing the USB 3 ports extensively - both front and back and notice the more devices I plug in the more often the issue occurs. 

Good news - I can confirm plugging in a PS/2 keyboard and mouse solves the issue for me. long-term this is not ideal so I'm looking forward to a fix from Dell Support.

I haven't tried bluetooth interface for mouse / keyboards as a solve yet - so if anyone who has the wireless/bt pci card I would be very interested to see if that works as well.

5 Posts

July 26th, 2019 10:00

Hello All,

I just wanted to add a little bit of information from my environment/troubleshooting that can hopefully help someone as I have been encountering the issue on multiple machines. The problem appears (at least for me) to be related to the dedicated GPU.

I disabled the dedicated GPU in BIOS and voila the issue was gone. The GPU I have in my 20+ machines is the AMD Radeon Pro WX3100. I found that regardless of what driver I used off the Dell site, the issue remained. The configuration of my outputs is 1xDP and 2xmDP. I found that if I did not use the middle mDP output the issue resided.

As a side note, I went through and manually installed/uninstalled every chipset and other driver to rule out anything else. I will update this post after I image the next PC and verify the issue is isolated only to the middle mDP.

Thank you and good luck!

1 Message

July 26th, 2019 12:00

Please let us know what you find out.  I go a new one doing the same thing.  Both monitors are using DVI to mDP cables. Thanks!

July 26th, 2019 13:00

We tried the same driver updates and testing but achieved nothing as well. 

There is a beta BIOS fix that has worked for us so far (without GPUs), for all but one of our 20 identical machines.  I have not yet been able to find out whether the latest released BIOS update includes the fix from our Dell contacts.  (that one machine has a BSOD issue to resolve first before declaring victory but before it crashes, it does not show the symptom of keyboard delays/skips/repeats.)

None of our machines have a discrete GPU, as all use 2 of the Intel on-board display ports.  We are now adding a P1000 to one system next week, so if anything changes I will post an update.

Here is the current BIOS download recently released, but no mention of the keyboard issue being addressed...

I am unclear why this takes 8+ months to fully resolve and integrate into the standard BIOS releases...  I can only assume it does not always work, or it breaks something else...  I have not information though so that is just guessing.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon an integrated in the the mainstream...

No Events found!