Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2018 13:00

TB18DC Driver Update, Not Easy to Find, so here it is...

In working through my TB18DC issues, it was finally escalated at Dell. I had provided Dell with a list of all the drivers I had updated (after re-installing the Win10 OS), and one driver update was missing. It is...

Dell Docking Station Firmware Update ....

Here's the catch. If you go into Dell's site using your workstation's service tag (or, anything else identifying your specific workstation/model), you're not going to see this driver update. The update is specifically for the TB18DC.

To get the update...

surf to https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04
enter "TB18DC" and search
select "Downloads & Drivers" to narrow the results (should be '6')
select "Dell Thunderbolt dock TB18DC Firmware Update Utility

Once downloaded, run the utility with the TB18DC connected. There are directions provided for what to do once the update is successfully run.

It did not 100% solve all of my issues, but it is "much better". And, it avoids hours of hassling with 1st level Dell support, not to mention re-installing the OS and having to update both the OS and all of Dell's drivers/utilities, and re-establishing your dev environment because it got wiped out during the OS re-install.

November 2nd, 2018 15:00

Update...

Still a few sticky-key issues, but fairly minor. Worst case, I'll move the keyboard USB dongle to the 7730, leaving everything else on the TB18DC. Again, not 100%, but it's workable until Dell fully addresses any required updates to the TB18DC driver set. At least, I now know where/how to find the updated firmware.

November 2nd, 2018 15:00

Duplicate entry....removed.

1 Message

December 14th, 2018 22:00

For Dell's information, I've got the very same combo of Precision workstation and brand new TB18DC dock purchased last month. Same jerky mouse and sticky keys issue from the moment I started using it. I have updated everything via the link you provided and so far so good.

Thank you for keeping this thread going. You're my hero right now.

Monday will be the real test!

Have a good one and keep it comin'.

December 15th, 2018 03:00

Hi fooooooo,

Have not you encountered similar situation:

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/TB18DC-firmware-update-failed/m-p/6234583#M1037%2Fjump-to%2Ffirst-unread-message%3Fref=lith_popular

I am unable to upgrade the firmware, and having serious problems with the displays on Linux now.

199 Posts

December 15th, 2018 13:00

travisprimo

in another thread fooooooooooooooo determined that going into BIOS and selecting to Disable "C" States fixed the issue with keys repeating and mouse movement jerkiness. 

I have the same config of 7730 and TB18DC and this is thus far a viable work-around that has worked for me, and for others.

HTH.

18 Posts

January 5th, 2019 00:00

I have the TB18DC dock and Precision 7530.

Intially I almost couldn't make the dock work, now with the help of this firmware update, it is better.

I have also applied the suggested BIOS settings in the other threads:

- Turn off C-states

- Turn off USB Power Share

What is the downside to turn off C-states?

I found these articles, but I don't get what is the practical disadvantage in everyday use.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-cpu-c-states-power-saving-modes/

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/power-management-states-p-states-c-states-and-package-c-states

I am quite annoyed by this dock.

• I am surprised it has a fan, and it is quite annoying - when I do office work, this is the only thing that is humming on my desk constantly.
  • Resume from sleep sometimes work, sometimes not, mostly not.
  • I still have to plug - unplug the dock several times to make the peripherials to connect.
  • Although it has the correct 240W AC adapter connected to the dock, it still gives the error message about not enough power connected to the laptop.

Basically, I am better off plugging my USB hubs directly to the 7530, this way all the problems with resume from sleep and lagginess go away.

But then, what is the point to have this dock at all?

No Events found!