Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2019 14:00

Precision T1700 - tech specs on displayport ?

I have spent many hours on this problem, and hoping to get a clear answer from Rockstars here.  I have a T1700 running i7-4770.  This model comes with 2 displayports. I need to connect this to a cheap monitor that has  ONLY  1 dual link DVI-D interface.  There are no other interfaces on monitor.  The  native resolution of this monitor is 2560x1440.   I  do not wish to  run this monitor at any lower resolutions.  Note that  this monitor is not capable of  using a  single-link  DVI --- has been already tried and it failed.

There is only the onboard intel HD graphics on this desktop.  Now, the problem here is to pass the video signal from onboard graphics to this monitor.  From what i have read on the internet so far,  this requires one of the following  two  options :

1. First preferred option...If the displayport is capable of dual-link DVI conversion, then  i simply  buy a  "passive"  converter.  According to  the specs on the intel site  the onboard graphics provides 3840x2160@60Hz.  But,  according to  what i have read from  displayport.org  ONLY  a   "dual link  Displayport"  has the ability to  do  conversion of  signal  into   DVI  format.    So,  the question is ...."Is  the displayport  on this  desktop  dual-link ?  In other words, can it  push out  the  DVI-D  signal to run monitor  at  2560x1440.   If this is possible, i can buy a  "passive  adapter",  from amazon for about $15  and be done with this (if i can find an adapter than can run at desired resolution).

2. The second option is to buy a  "Active adapter"  that can convert displayport to  DVI  signals.  Since these are expensive,  i do not wish to go with this option.  If  option #1  is not possible,  then i may look into buying a cheapo  graphics card on ebay  that can  run DVI-D  at 2560x1440.  Last i checked i can find a  used  graphics card  for less than $20  on  ebay.    I am not a gamer, and this monitor is mainly  used for  web surfing and netflix. 

Thanks for  any  clarifications.

April 10th, 2019 09:00

I wanted to  answer and complete my own thread, so that it can be of use to someone in future, who is searching the internet.   For  the question #1,  i found answer by reading the wikipedia  about  dual-link DVI  (or  DVI standard - one of these two, i just don't remember).   Basically,  only a Dual-link DVI is capable of  higher resolution (more than 1080p) - that simply is the standards.   Due to technical differences it would be very hard to find a cable that converts  all of the signal  of  Displayport into  DVI.  DVI  is simply too old a standard, compared to Displayport specs.  There were also many reports on the internet where i saw people  having difficulty  running a  DVI  monitor  using  adapters (either passive or active adapter - it does not matter - eventually they stop working).  So,  i decided to go with my second option,  of buying a cheap $10  graphics card on ebay that has  dual-link DVI ability to drive my monitor.   Note that if you are playing  games on your computer, you need to be watchful about the  WDDM  standard of the  graphics card that you are buying.  Many older graphics cards simply can not conform to the  standards that are required by modern  video games.  I do not  play video games on PC,  and hence for me the older $10  nvidia quadro was more than i needed.  

This was the cheapest solution to drive my 2560 x 1440  Achiva Shimian monitor that had only DVI-D input. It turned out that the graphics card produced way better contrast and color than what my  built in (newer) intel  HD graphics could accomplish without the card (on a Samsung monitor of same resolution).

No Events found!