Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 29th, 2018 12:00

Precision T3420 internal USB

Hi

I just bought a T3420 and i was wondering if i could use the Header 32 to supply an USB device internally.

We can read printed on the MB INT_USB but i cannot find the PINOUT

Header 32Header 32

Thanks

Michael

4 Posts

April 5th, 2018 05:00

The connector on mainboard "INT_USB" was special designed for an upcoming wireless-card.

It will not work with a standard USB internal header cable from other mainboards.

If you will use it for special scenarios... here the pin out I found..

Pin 1 +2 

4 Posts

April 5th, 2018 05:00

The connector on mainboard "INT_USB" was special designed for an upcoming wireless-card module.

It will not work with standard USB internal header cable from other mainboard manufactures.

If you will use it for special scenarios... here the pin out I found..

Pin1   USB PWR5V+

Pin3   USB 12N- 

Pin5   USB 12P+

Pin7   USB GND-

Pin2   USB PWR5V+

Pin4   USB 13N- 

Pin6   USB 13P+

Pin8   USB GND-

April 5th, 2018 06:00

Hi

Unfortunately I have tried and measured but between Pin1 and Pin7 or Pin2 or Pin8(where i should get 5V) i have nothing.

Any hint in the BIOS/UEFI to activate it? I cannot see such option.

Anyway thank you

April 7th, 2018 03:00

Hi

As you can see in the spec sheet there is 2 internal USB 2.0 ports so it is wrong somewhere. The spec or my settings?

Regards

Michaël

2 Internal USB ports2 Internal USB ports

December 8th, 2018 13:00

I tried this same exact thing and absolutely could not find 5VDC on any of the pins with my multimeter.  The only voltage I could find was +3VDC on pins 10, 12 and 14.  Pins 7 and 8 are indeed ground, as they pass perfect continuity with chassis.  Also in BIOS, there is no way to activate the so-called USB 12 and USB 13 headers.  If you have a look at the user manual, it labels this port as "CLINK" which is a means of implementing Intel AMT over an add-in wifi card.  On the motherboard itself, it is labeled "INT_USB".  So which one is it?  Is it CLINK or INT_USB?

4 Posts

August 5th, 2022 01:00

I realise this is an old post, but did you ever solve the issue? I have the same problem but I am trying to use it with a PCIe WiFi card with Bluetooth over "CLINK" cable. If the pinouts are correct it should work. I have tried several WiFi cards and cabels but no luck.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2022 02:00

Hi JST01,

I too am having this issue and I don't think the PIN-OUTs you have given are correct (well the 8 may be but what about the other 5).
I am trying to connect a PCIe riser with WiFi and Bluetooth using CLINK but no matter what cards or cables I use I cannot get it working.

Can anyone at Dell please confirm?

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

August 30th, 2022 20:00

Hello @J Rad , I'm not working for Dell but I have the information that might of help.  The Precision T3420 does not provide power on the CLINK connector.  Therefore, even Dell couldn't install Bluetooth.  If you check the drivers section for this system, you will find Intel Wireless 8260/7265/3165 Wi-Fi driver but No Bluetooth although these cards are capable of both.

4 Posts

August 30th, 2022 22:00

Hi @Chino de Oro
The cards I have tried say specify that the power is supplied by the PCIe card, so as long as the two data signals are correct, I would have thought they would work.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

August 31st, 2022 02:00

Hello @J Rad , the wifi bluetooth combo card can share data and power in M.2 slot or mini-PCIe slot on the motherboard but when it is installed on a PCIe X1 adapter, you will see a USB connector is supplied and it is required for bluetooth to work.  If you found an adapter that can supply power to bluetooth via PCIe slot, why and how do you connect to CLINK?  

4 Posts

August 31st, 2022 04:00

@Chino de Oro, from documentation I have found so far, it appeared the bluetooth power was supplied by the m2 slot. This of course could be wrong. It led me to believe that CLINK was required for bluetooth communication through the CLINK/INT_USB header on the system board. 
I spoke with Dell support over the phone and they told me that the board was only compatible with the intel 7260 only, which I find hard to believe as I would think all Clink cables should be the same pin/wire connections???

No Events found!