Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 2nd, 2018 22:00

T3500 No new BIOS for Spectre Vulnerability

Due to the recent vulnerabilities, both Intel and Microsoft ( For Windows ) has released updated OS's for protection again them. Moreover, BIOS updates by companies like Dell and other motherboard manufacturers have released new BIOS updates. I searched the BIOS update list on Dell's link. But my, product T3500 wasn't listed at all however Precision's like T5500 had been updated. I checked vulnerabilities on my PC by the InSpectre Tool it stated I was safe against Meltdown ( as I had updated windows ) but was vulnerable with Spectre. Now I am here left vulnerable and most of you have already updated your BIOS's. Any help with what I should do?

InSpectre Screenshot.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

March 4th, 2018 10:00

Intel is working on newer CPUs first.  This is such a massive project that it needs to be done in stages - just like the Takata airbag recall.  It's simply not possible to develop patches for everything in the short term.

This is a system heading toward 10 years old - there are likely just not enough of these left in use to even begin  the process of testing updates - so it may be that older CPU platforms are just never patched for Spectre.

Keep an eye on things, but given the problems the first spectre patches have caused, I'd not want to be among the first to install a patch after it's released.  And it may ultimately be impossible to develop patches for some older CPU platforms.  No one has a room full of every system built in the last 15 years just sitting there for testing - at some point Intel will likely call the platform end of life and not release patches for it.  This may be one of them - particularly given its age and the relatively small numbers in which it sold.

No Events found!