Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2020 07:00

T7400 second physical cpu not recognized.

Hi Everyone! I've been googling for similar scenarios and havent had much luck so here's the run-down.

• T7400
  • Two Xeon X5482 Quad Core processors installed.
    • Stepping is matched
  • Worked when originally installed 2+ years prior to this post, would show (2 processors) in system properties.
  • HDD was going bad at one point, bought SSD and cloned original HDD to SSD put SSD in and off we go.
  • Unplugged machine for a year or more, plugged back in runs fine but only one of the CPU's is being recognized by the system.
  • Windows 64 Ultimate.

I have done the following things per what I could find online.

• Re-seated the cpus and applied new thermal paste.
  • Reset the CMOS.

I currently am unable to setup a monitor to the system to reach the bios as some threads mention checking there if it shows two processors, I have also not yet swapped placement of the CPU's to see if it just doesn't boot that way? Unsure what that would check.

Any ideas on what I can look for while waiting on my HDMI to VGA dongle to arrive so I can check the BIOS? Or any idea on what might cause it to work and then no longer work? Basically I can buy another set on eBay but I don't want to do that and put them in to find the MOBO is bad, how can I verify where the problem is?

Any help would be appreciated!

3 Posts

May 24th, 2020 14:00

Update on this issue!

• accidentally got thermal paste on board and CPU and fried original T7400, bought replacement with exact same hardware.
  • Swapped in existing SSD and booted up, new model shows one CPU in Windows 7 Ultimate as well, had already checked BIOS knew it was showing both in there.

HOW TO FIX - Stumbled upon following article, the application mentioned EasyBCD did in fact reset how many CPU's the system was looking at and it is now showing both processors, 8 cores total. I've seen a few posts like this but finding this solution was buried hope linking it here helps others.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/howto-get-windows-7-to-detect-your-new-multi-core/71519d51-f6cb-47df-b3ff-66c2928d6de4?page=5

3 Posts

May 18th, 2020 07:00

I've also flashed the BIOS from A00 to A11 (I believe this is the latest for the T7400.)

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 18th, 2020 18:00

You did good troubleshooting steps.

The only thing that would've changed though while it sat is the size 2032 battery went low or dead.  With the T7400 being from 2008, has it been replaced within the last 5 yrs.?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 24th, 2020 18:00

Sorry to hear you fried your MB.  Glad you got it working though.

No Events found!