Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

May 16th, 2021 10:00

T7820 and T7920 Graphics No Post - Third Party

Does anyone know why (I believe BIOS issue) the Dell 7820 and 7920 Precision Workstations have such trouble posting\booting with third party graphics or PCIe cards?

Example: Precision 7820 won't boot with an MSI RTX 2070 Duke Graphics Card (I have a feeling it is something to do with the built-in USB-C port on the card). However, I don't feel something as simple as this should take down a high-end system such as this one.

Would be great if Dell Engineering could provide an update to allow for support for third party graphics. 

I also noticed a similar issue on a 7920 with the PCIe Bus allocation set to thunderbolt support instead of default. That also has prevented booting during testing.

(I have both a 7820 and 7920 which is why both are mentioned. They share a common BIOS and both have the same issues.)

- Dan

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

May 16th, 2021 15:00

Do you have Secure boot active, in the bios ?

202 Posts

May 16th, 2021 16:00

It is a common dell's bug. It should be in the FAQ.

Reset the BIOS with the battery. In case of the machine cyclically rebooting itself, do this:

1. install "working" GPU.

2. Disable "secure boot"

3. Enable OS recovery mode, set it for 2-4 failed boots.

4. Wait for 2-4 cyclical black-screen boots.

- On the next boot you will get into BIOS setup in safe mode, where you should enable/disable your GPU as the main GPU.

After that it should work.

May not work with old boards not supporting UEFI boot, which is not the case with RTX.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2021 18:00

I still have issues getting this to work.  I can with another AMD WX4100 card but not the RTX 3070 in the 7820, however it works fine in an identically configured 7920. Very odd. This BIOS is awful.

No Events found!