Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2022 15:00

Unfortunate Circumstance - Discontinued 3620 7700K Cougar Point Chipset

Hi Gang

When you think you've covered enough research with the patient help of the fine contributors here on the Dell Forum, there's always the 'unforseen'. I recently bought a 'leased' machine (fine condition), but didn't realize the 3620 line had a 'DISCONTINUED' model; the i7 7700K. It so happens sata ports 2 through 5 'might' begin to work unreliably or in time stop working at all. A possible remedy (by the original owner), would have been to contact Dell who would have exchanged it? However in this case (with a used machine), good luck tracking down a repair history. Have no idea how/where one could examine the logic board to see if that particular problem was corrected? Niether does anyone here. I think the best course of action would be to notify the seller and simply return the box 'UNOPENED' immediately and search for a different 3620 model? (OR) perhaps choose a T1700 instead, provided it doesn't also have a 'Cougar Point Chipset' delivered on or after January 9th? (What Year)?

Scroll 1/2 way down and you'll see the 7700K was discontinued:

Discontinued 7700K 

Thanks For Any Other Thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

May 13th, 2022 17:00

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand your point. That chipset (defected) issue happened back in 2011. This 3620 is from 2017 like the cpu 7700K ...

And the fact that the cpu is discontinued (happened in 2020) doesn't mean anything

121 Posts

May 13th, 2022 20:00

Hello Mazzinia - Really nice to see you again.

Trust me I'd love to keep this machine. I wasn't aware of the '2020' date of discontinuation. (But I am now). I was also not aware the issue of the faulty Chipset occured in 2011. What concerned me was the possibility I 'could' be rebuilding a machine investing hundreds of dollars dumping good money into bad?  Even in 'Good Faith,' I doubt the seller is aware of this issue and there seems to be no way of confirming whether the chipset had been exchanged or replaced? And this isn't the kind of problem that will immediately show itself ...The date of manufacture is 2017.

I have 30 days to return it, (no questions asked). So where do we do from here?

Better put: What have I missed?

I absolutely appreciate your input ....

Thank You!

Mike

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

May 14th, 2022 02:00

Hello again,

I understand your point, but the defected chipset is for way older cpus , aka the ones produced back into 2011/2012 .
The 7700k requires something like the H270 - Z270 chipset on the motherboard, and they have absolutely no relation with that now quite old one that had that defect.

So, you're looking to purchase ( or have already and are thinking if keeping vs returning ) an used computer. As with all things used, with some years on their virtual back ( in this case 5 years ), they have a bit less life ahead of them compared to something brand new.
This said, then is all about luck... a new pc can break after a month or just out of warranty or work for 15 years. An used pc follows the same pattern.

If you are satisfied with the price requested, if the unit works once delivered.. I don't think there's a lot more that you can ask. If your worry is related to "what if it breaks after some months", either look for a seller that gives a limited warranty ( some refurbishing companies do up to 1 year ) or consider a new unit for the oem warranty. (and compare the price of a new or one with warranty with the cost of changing the most expensive part that could break ... the motherboard .... summed with the current price you paid, by example)

No Events found!