Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

April 5th, 2020 00:00

Dell Precision 7710 Mysterious Shutdown Due To Thermal Event

Hello,

I have a mysterious problem with my laptop and I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me?

I recently bought a second hand Dell Precision 7710 Laptop, which shuts down due to thermal event, but only from Windows 10 with AC adaptor and all the latest drivers installed. The reason I said 'latest drivers' is because when I do a fresh install of Windows 10 without any updates, the machine runs fine on AC. I've stress tested the device under several conditions:

ePSA diagnostics and AC power - Machine is OK, no detected issues.
Prime95 (pre boot stress test) and AC power - machine is OK, no Thermal event
Windows 10 Battery power only and Dell SupportAssist Test - machine is OK, no issues.

Windows 10 with AC power - Machine turns itself off when processor is running on high load.

Yesterday I dismantled the machine, cleaned it inside and refreshed the heatsink paste. I think the laptop sounds quieter but it hasn't improved the problem.

The AC charger which came with the laptop is an after-market replacement, so it's not official Dell, perhaps that is causing the problem?

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or something similar.

My first question is - if my laptop is running a stress test on battery power, would it not stress the components as much as when the device is on AC power or does it not make any difference at all?

My second question is - if this problem is caused by a bad charger, how is that possible? Can a bad charger 'overcharge' a laptop and make it overheat?

Any help would be greatly received, thank you very much in advance!

James

2 Posts

April 17th, 2020 09:00

Same issue from last 10 days with same model laptop.

1 Message

September 15th, 2020 16:00

Did you ever solve it?

217 Posts

September 15th, 2020 19:00

I have had this issue with my Precision 7710 and my son's 7510.

After performing my own troubleshooting, I figured out that with the newest windows update the "Intel Thermal Management Engine" for the CPU broke.  As soon as any kind of process starts that clocks up the CPU the temperature reading spikes on one of the cores for a second or two before the fan speeds up to match the load.  This is just long enough for the management engine to trigger the thermal event and tell the computer to shut down.

That is the problem!
Now here is the solution that worked on both my machines:

1. Remove and clean the heatsink and fan assembly.
2. Remove old thermal paste from the Heatink, GPU and CPU.
3. Apply new high quality thermal paste to the GPU and CPU.
4. Re-assemble the laptop.

After the cleaning and thermal paste, the heatsink is able to transfer the heat away from the CPU fast enough to avoid triggering the thermal event.

October 24th, 2020 21:00

I've had the same issue with a 7510 and have had the machine in twice for service (paying $200 each time for out-of-warranty support) as the problem worsened to the point the machine wouldn't even run basic Office apps.

I first noticed it about a year ago (October/November 2019). It progressed from an occasional shutdown when gaming (GPU pegged) to where the machine wouldn't even boot. Had it sent in to the Dell Depot; they replaced a good chunk of the innards (motherboard, at least). Worked OK upon receipt, but the problem soon recurred (February 2020). Progressed again over a series of months to where I at first couldn't run 3D games, then I couldn't place high demand on the CPU, then I couldn't run the machine reliably at all without throttling the CPU to 80%. I disassembled the machine and applied some new thermal paste (Arctic MX-4), which temporarily offered relief, but by July, it was failing regularly and then eventually by mid-August wouldn't boot. Sent it in and it sat in the Depot for a month and a half waiting for back-ordered parts. Got the machine back, booted up, but now failing again when running GPU-heavy games.

I do seem to recall seeing the Intel Thermal Management Engine on the list of Windows Updates in the distant past, so that is a very interesting and likely correct theory. Perhaps the progressive failure I'm experiencing is related to heat damage from poor thermal management (fan can't spin up fast enough, CPU/GPU overheats and damages silicone, etc.).

Guess I'll avoid any 3D games or GPU-heavy activity until a new version of Intel Thermal Management Engine comes out.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 11th, 2021 17:00

I had similar problem when new, actually purchased refurbished in 2017(?). Sent unit in under warranty. They replaced the fan and maybe some other parts, even though that was apparent to me that it was not hardware problem.

After that, I found a software solution, but I rebuilt the machine in early 2021 and since then I've been having a similar problem. In this case, Machine shuts down, AS SOON AS THE FAN COMES ON

Examined the BIOS log, but don't see the multiple events that occured logged, I only see one event. So I am not sure exactly what is happening. Now more than ever it seems like software. At times I can hardly use the machine for more than a few minutes.

I wonder if there is a setting to keep fan on constantly?

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 11th, 2021 18:00

In another thread, I found this Intel gadget that monitors temperature and other power levels.

Intel Power Gadget. Documentation and Download 

At least now I can see the actual temperature and hopefully get more information to help analyze the problem

1 Message

April 10th, 2021 08:00

I also have a dell 7710 with this problem, I can't do anything about it right now.
How disappointing Dell is late in releasing bug fixes!

2 Posts

April 10th, 2021 09:00

where is solution?

May 11th, 2021 06:00

Just to add my two-penneth to this thread, I have a Dell Precision 7710 company laptop and recently the last few days have experienced this issue, ie. half way through working and the machine just tells me its shutting down. Booting it straight up after results in another shutdown after about 5 mins use.

The machine is not overly hot and tbh it has been hotter before and never done this. 

I have been using this with an old Dell docking station (the type that sits on a desk and the laptop clicks into).

I usually have this docking station permanently connected to power. Early experimentation seems to confirm the theory that its related to over-charging, as when I disconnect the power supply this event does not seem to occur.

Would be interested to hear whether others have tried a similar resolution to this issue to see whether it is in fact related?

So far so good here though just disconnecting from power once fully charged. For what its worth this issue also started occurring after a string of recent Windows 10 updates (dated 28-04-2021) were applied. Not sure if the two are related, but seems entirely possible given others observations on this thread.

Hopefully this may help someone!

1 Message

May 28th, 2021 06:00

I had the same issue. Please try instal older version of Intel Thermal Framework . From 2016 for example. It helped me.

July 3rd, 2021 20:00

I am facing the same issue on my Dell Precision 7510.

Apprantly it got better when I Uninstaller the Thermal Framework driver but started occurring again after windows update. I uninstalled updates and it got better but again started occurring when I put some load on the CPU.

I am cleaning the CPU and applying some paste, lets see how it goes..

But I don't face this problem when Linux was installed on my laptop. 

1 Message

September 21st, 2021 15:00

I don't think it is caused by a bad charger, it is happens with a lot of people, looks like a bad update in some drivers.

7 Posts

October 8th, 2021 10:00

You can get more information here. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/precision-7510-owners-thread.783108/page-185 

This solved my shutdown issue.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2022 12:00

The same problem - shutting down as soon as I log in to windows. Worked perfectly all night when left in BIOS. I wish I found this thread sooner, I could've tried installing an older version of Intel Thermal Framework. 

Shutting down is now solved because I recovered the windows from the USB Dell shipped with my 7710. Unfortunately, that caused tons of other issues. Missing drivers, the fingerprint scanner is not appearing in setting up login options, Windows Store is telling me there is no internet and can't connect, SupportAssist can't be installed, no Dell software on it apart of the TouchPad. I am afraid I am still to find more issues.

Anyway, don't mind me complaining. Just wanted to share I solved the problem by windows recovery.

Regards,

Sylvi

5 Posts

February 16th, 2022 09:00

I tried to open this page you mentioned, but the forum seemed to not existing any more. Do you have another source or a description how you solved the problem? That would be great.
I run out of options, as I face the same problem for some time now.
Thanks a lot.

No Events found!