Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2021 05:00

External monitor turning off and on

I have a precision 3551 from work and it's been working great. I hooked up an external display via HDMI. I have to follow some udemy courses for work and when I start a video or pause a video it will randomly turn off, display no signal, and go back on again having moved all applications to the laptop's display. I have tried to make the nvidia card the main card to use, but seemingly nothing works. The only thing that changed is that before I changed the card it would turn off stay on no signal until I turned off my laptop, unplugged the monitor, turned back on the laptop and after it was on plug back in the display and it worked again.

Anyone know what I can try, or a possible fix. 

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Posts

April 12th, 2021 08:00

So I found a solution that works for me somehow. In the taskbar settings I turned on Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode, and that works for me somehow. So now when I start a udemy video it doesn't turn of anymore.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 5th, 2021 06:00

Try a different HDMI cable

eventually update the BIOS of the laptop

Which Dell Inspiron laptop model is it?

3 Posts

April 5th, 2021 06:00

I tried with different hdmi cable but it didn't work. On other computer it works fine. It's an precision 3551

1 Message

June 23rd, 2023 00:00

This does not fix the issue for me. I'm using a USB-C dock with two external monitors via HDMI. I've had issues with monitors turning on and off with this laptop with two different docks, so I'm pretty sure it's an issue with this particular laptop model/it's drivers etc (which are all up to date).

This, my work laptop is a dell lattitude 5330.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2023 16:18

@kenlig​ this did not work for me

No Events found!