Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2018 09:00

Precision 5530 and TB16 black screen flashing/flicker

I've searched the forums across the internet and this is a common problem that has not been fixed!

When the notebook is waking up from standby and/or connected and reconnected to the dock the screen flickers/flashes black on all connected screens.

When will Dell provide a working solution as all suggested workarounds do not mitigate this problem?

After a reboot the problem will start appearing again.

EDIT: Video from my later posts

DELL Precision 5530 + TB16 black screen flicker slow motion

2 Posts

September 10th, 2019 10:00

Hi Alan, Our support team suggested the following:

1. Unplug everything but power adapter. 
  2. Hold down 32 sec the power button to clear cache of the Docking station itself.
  3. Test by plugging everything back in.

I actually used a stopwatch and did 45 seconds.

I've been flicker free for 3 days now.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2018 14:00

I am having the exact same problem. It is driving me crazy.

1 Message

December 10th, 2018 08:00

Same issue here.  Seemed to start after updating to all the latest drivers using the Dell Com-and update tool Friday.  Was trying to fix a sticky key issue and now have a new issue and still sticky keys when plugged into the dock

7 Posts

December 27th, 2018 09:00

Have the same issue, all drivers are up to date.

And I still cannot update Thunderbolt Dock TB16 - firmware

have the error - multi stream transport hub#1-2 firmware failed

7 Posts

January 11th, 2019 06:00

I have this same setup on about 15 machines in the office. Only one of them seems to be doing this. I haven't seen any new video driver updates but I'm wondering if it could be related to this new fix in the latest BIOS revision "The package also fixes the issue with the graphics performance where it becomes limited when the temperature of the system is low." Not that it is cold in the office, but worth a shot.

January 15th, 2019 01:00

Updated to the latest bios 1.7.0 and it is still happening.

DELL Precision 5530 + TB16 black screen flicker slow motion

1 Message

January 18th, 2019 08:00

Same problem here...

Dell 5530 and TB16 dock-using 2 Dell S2240T monitors, one connected to the TB16 hdmi, the other connected to the TB16 full size display port through a plugable DP > hdmi 2.0 adapter. (these monitors don't have Display Port connections)

Even though the 5530 has a 4k display, I have it set to 1080p so that the interface on certain programs isn't microscopic.  I use 100% scaling on the external monitors and 125% on the 5530. When it happens, all monitors (including laptop screen) will go black for about a second, then come back. 

There seems to be some association with sleep. If I reboot, it will be fine for a long time, then if the computer is locked or goes to sleep and is woken back up, it tends to start flashing again. When it is occurring, the monitors flash off for about a second every 10-30 seconds. Also, I can pull the cable for the TB16 from the laptop and the built-in display will continue exhibiting the problem, except the flash is only a fraction of a second.

Just found this info which sheds more light on the problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/ag6qv4/black_screen_flicker_on_dell_precision_5530_xps/

January 20th, 2019 23:00

Thanks, i've created that reddit thread. :)

What i've experienced now is, that with the 25. driver it's somehow possible to fix it without reboot.

What i've done is, set no standby/ monitor off when docked. Also i've changed the lock screen timeout to a couple of hours when docked.

So know if the flicker starts, i simply disconnect the type c cable. Wait until everything is settled and then reconnect. It's still an inconvenience but managable.

27 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 01:00

I'm getting similar issue but only when I use "stand alone laptop".
After I switched off all "power saving" settings in Intel Graphics control panel I get rid off my issue from: https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/Dell-Precision-5530-ociasionaly-hanging-freezing/td-p/6233832 but get this flicker / refresh problem.
So you can try set all settings from power to off in Intel Graphics Control Panel

January 29th, 2019 05:00

For me there is no difference if power saving settings are disabled or enabled.

I will get the flicker everytime the notebook wakes up from sleep. Docked or undocked.

February 4th, 2019 04:00

Hello all - first post. I am happy I found this thread, and know I am not alone. Reported this problem to Dell in December, updated all drivers, and it went away for all of January, so I thought was fixed.. Then I took a trip, ran laptop on battery whole time, came back and plugged it in to dock and power and now after every sleep return it exhibits this problem. I have 2 Dell monitors and the TB16 Dock. Dell used up alot of my time and provided no answers so I am hoping that the answers come here.

Likely related - today, and once before, during the flicker happening period, after a flicker, my laptop screen went to a color-pattern screen similar to when a TV drops HDMI sync while other 2 screens were usable. Had to reboot to recover laptop screen.

27 Posts

February 4th, 2019 08:00

To make things clear, my configurations:
First configuration: Dell 5530 + TB15 + 2x QHD Monitors (I don't use built in screen) - I don't have a flicker problem
Second configuration: Dell 5530 stand alone with UHD bulid in screen - flicker problem occurs.
Third configuration: Dell 5530 bulid in UHD screen + QHD screen connected via usbc to Display port in monitor - I don't have flicker problem
I've already tryied drivers directly from Intel, downloaded by "Inel & support assisant" with no luck - Filcker problem occurs, but maybe not so often.
I've try to conntact with Intel, but they showing middle finger: "Your support request was related to a product for which Intel has ended support"....

February 9th, 2019 03:00

There is no working solution until now.

We can only wait for a future firmware update to hopefully fix this issue.

February 10th, 2019 07:00

Stopped happening for me this week, wonder when problem will return?

February 11th, 2019 14:00

Same issue here.

I have had a case open with Dell since the 17th of January. So far, we have reimaged the system back to Dell's blessed recovery media with no success.

The TB-16 firmware is the latest and all Dock drivers were installed in the order provided in the install guide. So far, my workaround is to enable a screen saver and set the system to never turn off the monitors. If I do undock the system, I just know that I must reboot it while on the dock.

As ti stands, Dell replaced the system and the new system has the same issue. My original system was shipped to Dell's lab for a config capture. I have a hard time believing it is interference or bandwidth as the system "works" fine with no flickers as long as you don't undock / redock or let the monitors sleep.

It is bittersweet to see other's having this issue and hopefully there will be a resolution and determination of cause soon.

No Events found!