Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2018 09:00

Precision 5530 and TB16 black screen flashing/flicker

I've searched the forums across the internet and this is a common problem that has not been fixed!

When the notebook is waking up from standby and/or connected and reconnected to the dock the screen flickers/flashes black on all connected screens.

When will Dell provide a working solution as all suggested workarounds do not mitigate this problem?

After a reboot the problem will start appearing again.

EDIT: Video from my later posts

DELL Precision 5530 + TB16 black screen flicker slow motion

13 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 12:00

so far no single flickering anymore with the new driver....

13 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 12:00

I guess I was to fast - shortly after I wrote the last post I got it back :(

27 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 14:00

Intel graphics driver updated. 4h of using P5530 and I get only one screen freeze. Why Freeze? Because orginaly I was geeting screen freezing problem - no responce from keyboard and mice on screen but I was acctualy typing / clicking in notepad. After I've disabled Modern standby my freez problem changed to black flicker problem
To be precise:
1. I was getting flicker(orginally freez) only when using laptop display without any external monitor(I use tb15 dock and 2xQHD displays. When P5530 is docked I don't use laptop display) after in some case P5530 was woked up from sleep. Same as everyone else but without TB16
2. Modern Standby is disabled in Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power - CsEnabled value changed to "0"
3. Im using Win 10 1903 bulid 18362.1 - yup, I've updated Win to "beta/dev version" since Dell is still lokking for solution

So in my case: Drivers posted by @snruebes  + Modernstandby disabled in registry + beta/dev version of Win 10 = 4h of work and ONLY ONE freeze / flicker

BTW: Intel in 25.20.100.6519 version is saying to "fix" Better support for Windows* 10 Ambient light sensor framework and Power and performance improvements https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28514/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 15:00

Ah yes, I also have modern/connected standby disabled with that regkey because without it my laptop never really sleeps, and in under 8 hours (or overnight) the battery goes to 0% if not plugged in. Disabling Connected sleep fixed that.

27 Posts

April 7th, 2019 10:00

forget what I wrote. Same sh..... flicker / freeze, different day. I've just rollback to standard version of Windows, older drivers and disabling driver update through Windows Update. I'm missing my old Latitude 7480, was slow but 150% reliable

13 Posts

April 7th, 2019 23:00

same here - it is a shame!

38 Posts

April 8th, 2019 05:00

I have the same problem with a new Precision 5530 and a WD15 dock.  Using the latest drivers and firmwares according to Dell Command Update.

This issue isn't isolated to just this model tho ... I currently also have this problem to a much lesser extent with 7x80 and 7x90 series laptops (also with WD15 docks) we've rolled out.  Historically I've also had "blinky blinky syndrome" on the Precision 5510s but that went away after some driver/BIOS update combination last year.

The switch to USB-C/Thunderbolt based docks has been a massive step backward in terms of reliability for Dell ... its been very disappointing.

April 13th, 2019 02:00

I am experiencing the same issue with Precision 5530 and 240W TB16 dock.

When using laptop screen (UHD) with external monitor both screens periodically go black for a second or two. System is fully updated. 

A lot of people seem to be having this problem. Has it been reproduced or acknowledged by Dell?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 03:00

Hi all, 

Thanks for your continued updates on this thread. We are aware of the issue and are currently investigating the cause and working towards a solution. This can take time to develop and implement. It may not the most workable solution for everyone, but it may be worth disabling the option of putting the system to sleep or hibernate until the solution is found.

I'll keep the thread updated whenever I hear anything else.

Thanks again for your patience and continued input.

Alan

13 Posts

April 18th, 2019 03:00

Hi Martin, I experience the same annoying display interruption with TB 3 dock at home but surprisingly I don't get it when I connect my P5520 on an USB-C dock I use at work. This means it is specifically caused by one of the TB 3 components or the machine BIOS itself....

1 Message

April 18th, 2019 08:00

i might give you some numbers

we have about 1200 devices in our company. All are connected with the Dell WD15 Dock (not TB). All devices are connected to Dell UltraWide U3417 monitors.

293x Precision 5510 -> no problem
266x Precision 5520 -> no problem
124x Precision 5530 -> All have this issue with flickering
except if you stage the device with Windows drivers only (without running Dell Command Update)

interesting also it does not happen while the lid is closed and only second monitor running.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 06:00

@msconfig1987 wrote:

we have about 1200 devices in our company. All are connected with the Dell WD15 Dock (not TB). All devices are connected to Dell UltraWide U3417 monitors.

except if you stage the device with Windows drivers only (without running Dell Command Update)

interesting also it does not happen while the lid is closed and only second monitor running.

@msconfig1987 thanks for this info. I have passed this onto engineering to help with their investigation.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 24th, 2019 07:00

@msconfig1987 wrote:

Hey @msconfig1987 , 

Engineering have requested more info from you. I have dropped you a private message. If you could respond to it it would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

9 Posts

April 24th, 2019 09:00

Maybe it's too soon, but I installed the newest ISV certified NVidia Driver (I have the P2000 card) yesterday morning, and have not had the issue since. 

9 Posts

April 24th, 2019 12:00

@Joel285 wrote:

Maybe it's too soon, but I installed the newest ISV certified NVidia Driver (I have the P2000 card) yesterday morning, and have not had the issue since. 

It was, in fact, too soon. Came back from lunch and having the issue. 

No Events found!