Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2021 04:00

Precision 5550 + WD19 Dock

Hi, 

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up a Precision 5550 with a Dell WD19 dock and i hope some one can help me out with a couple of questions.

1. I'm trying to connect 2 monitors via the Dock, a (Monitor1) 1440P and a (Monitor2) 1080P. I've tried multiple combinations of connecting the monitors on through the DP and the HDMI in different arrangements but Windows display manager wont let me select 1920x1080 for monitor 2.

I perhaps thought i might need to get a USB C to HDMI Adapter to make it work, but after doing some reading it seems that it should all work. 

2. The current power provided by the dock is not actually enough to supply the laptop with enough power, meaning I have to have the power brick and the dock plugged in simultaneously. The power supplied to the dock is 130w, the power supplied to the laptop is via a 130w supply. 

If I upgrade the supply to the dock to a 180w supply will this be enough to supply the laptop through the dock.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I'm new to docs and i got the impression it would just 'work'.

Cheers

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 26th, 2021 07:00

@Uncl3dad  The solution to both of your issues is to get a Dell WD19TB (or TBS).  The Precision 5550 only supports DisplayPort HBR2 over USB-C/TB3, not DisplayPort HBR3.  (Using an HDMI output on the dock doesn't change this since the dock converts the DisplayPort signal to HDMI in that case.)  HBR2 doesn't offer as much bandwidth per lane.  As such, the regular WD19 when paired with an HBR2 system can only run dual displays up to 1920x1200 each, which is why you're having resolution issues.  This is explained in the Display Resolution Support Table in the WD19 User Guide.  The WD19TB(S) uses Thunderbolt 3 rather than USB-C and as such when paired with that system can tap into 4x as much video bandwidth as the regular WD19, allowing it to run dual displays up to 4K 60 Hz each or triple displays up to 1440p each.

And then yes, in order for the dock to provide up to 130W to the attached system, the dock itself needs to have a 180W power supply.  When it has a 130W power supply, it can only provide 90W.  But the WD19TB(S) only comes with a 180W power supply, so that makes it easier.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Uncl3dad  Happy to help!  Yes, connecting either of the displays through a mechanism that does not run through the dock, such as a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter or a USB-C to HDMI dongle, plugged directly into your system, would work.  And yes you could simply swap out the 130W adapter with a 180W version since the docks are otherwise identical.  Good luck!

3 Posts

Ah amazing, thanks for clarifying.

I had gotten a little stuck with all the technical points in the manuals, so this clears it up. 

Unfortunately it's a work provided system so would have to weigh up the cost of getting a better dock  than provided, or downgrading my monitor at home. 

Would getting a separate USB-C to HDMI dongle, or even a USB-C to DP Cable work in unused USBC slot on the laptop its self work to run the second display? - IE Not through the dock. If the dock is the bottleneck in this situation.

Cheers for the clarifications on the power supply too. If the HDMI adapter works then maybe getting a 180W power brick and the adapter is a cheaper workaround to just getting the dock.

Thanks for answering my question!

3 Posts

Absolute immense help Jp. 

Thank you 

October 5th, 2021 05:00

Hi. I have all what seems to be needed and still problems.
My 5550 is connected to WD19TDS 180W via thunderbolt. 2x 4K screens connected to the dock independently via DP-DP cable. 
My issue is that in Win10 I can have only 1x4K and 2nd is allowed to go only to 1920x1200 max. As I remember (I disconnected 2nd monitor for now) I tried to set up also at lower refresh and no difference. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 5th, 2021 07:00

@Krzysztof K.  The WD19TBS User Guide explains that when using a DisplayPort HBR2 system like the Precision 5550, if you want to run dual 4K 60 Hz displays, one of them has to be connected to the downstream TB3 port at the edge of the dock -- not to be confused with the USB-C port near the HDMI output.  Use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to make that connection if needed.  This requirement has to do with how the dock allocates video bandwidth received from the source system, which varies based on the DisplayPort revision supported by that system.  In your case, the system is sending the dock two full DP 1.2 interfaces over Thunderbolt.  One of those interfaces is allocated to the downstream TB3 port, and the other interface is shared across the other outputs.  A single 4K 60 Hz display requires almost an entire interface, so right now you're trying to run both of your displays from only half of the total bandwidth coming into the dock.  Move one of them to the downstream TB3 port and they'll each have their own interface.

October 5th, 2021 07:00

Ok, I will need to get a different cable first, and then I will give it a go. I don't have a manual for the dock as it was delivered to my desk at work and I didn't bother to download one. 

1 Message

May 1st, 2022 18:00

Evening

I have a new work laptop, Dell Precision 5550, and its "recommended" docking station, the WD19TB.

I have two WD docks as I work in two locations.

To date, I have not been able to get much use out of either of my two docks. Most of the ports do not work, monitors would cut out, and the heat and noise coming from the docks interrupted quick a few Zoom calls.

I surrendered and bought a Kensington SD4900P Triple 4k Display Docking Station.

It powers my 3 4K monitors at 3840 x 2160 plus all my other toys.

S

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2024 15:35

@jphughan​ 

hi

i have the exact same dual monitor resolution issue with precision 5550 + WD19TBS.

I did try to use 2 DP cables (or 1 usb c 1 dp) connected bwt the docking and the monitors, but only one monitor can run up to 1440p the other stay at 1080p.

plz help.

thanks

jeff 

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2024 16:52

problem solved on my side: connect a wrong usb-c port on precision 5550 which has 2 type of usb-c. 

https://www.engineering.com/story/dell-precision-5550-review-the-smallest-and-thinnest-15-mobile-workstation

No Events found!