Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

August 5th, 2021 20:00

Precision 7540 very slow usb transfer speeds large files

I have not been able find a solution to fix this laptops issues with file transfers from USB drive to the internal storage nvme drive.  The use drive is a Corsair Voyager GTX nvme, it has speeds above 300mb/s and on other systems I have seen constant speeds of that or more.

This happens on larger files maybe more then 4gb? Have not tested the size when it does it, if I copy smaller 1-2gb or even grouped them then it goes from 100-350 mb/s speeds

On this laptop I have speeds max of 20 and then drops to 4mb/s, their was a time when I disabled some other (sd card reader) and it did go to at least 100 or 150... but with the whole system updated to current (windows and firmware/bios drivers etc...) and get this horrible performance.

CrystialDIskinfo shows UASP interface, and transfer mode sata/600

Device manager shows Corsair Voyager GTX SCSI disk device, I tried all the options in the policies, quick removal vs better performance and no luck.

I tried also on the usb-c thunderbolt ports and the side usb3.0 ports... no success at all

I even tried the different intel chipset sata to this current onemMBeos1BuW.jpgCrystalDiskMark_20210805193542 usb drive.png

3 Posts

August 11th, 2021 14:00

So I tested this with same large file 30gb with a regular 3.0 usb stick and it was transferring at a constant rate between 230-250mb/s

Here is the strange part the Corsair Voyager GTX nvme USB 3.1 128gb usb stick works on all other systems including an old m6800 with 300+ mb/s speeds

Another  twist to the story, the Corsair Voyager GTX nvme works at high speed with small files and few gig file sizes... so

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 13th, 2021 06:00

You might want to check for an updated chipset driver for your system.

Keep in mind that this is a rotational disk drive and data transfer speeds are not going to match the theoretical bus speed. Certainly not the often claimed "ten times faster than USB 2.0"! In addition, it has a 5900 rpm disk, so a bit slower there too.

One tweak you can try is to make sure the drive properties policy tab is set to better performance.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2021 18:00

no I have SSD's NVME's and the usb stick is pretty much a ssd NVME

I literally took the same file and copied it to generic usb 3.0 thumb drive (sandisk extreme ) and it was getting constant 200mb/s+ speeds

take and put in my Corsair Voyager GTX nvme USB 3.1 with same file, try and copy it to the system nvme system same place where I did test with the Sandisk, and its going from 30mb/s down the 4mb/s spikes and stays at the low speeds

If I take a small file only a few Gigabte file, even few of them it will copy really fast at the 300mb/s+ speeds, but a large more then 10-30gb file that I was testing on the Sandisk goes to the slow speeds with this Corsair Voyager GTX, yet this same drive works on handful of other systems at high speeds nop problem for a long time!

No Events found!