Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

April 20th, 2020 12:00

USB mouse freezes when Dell G5 is connected to Dell WD19TB

Hello, I recently bought Dell dock station. I keep having mouse freezes when my mouse is connected to Dell dock, but its only on 1 of my laptops.

What I have (I assigned IDs to them to refrence devices):
L1 - Dell G5 15 5590
L2 - Dell 13 Latitude 5401
D1 - Dell Thunderbolt Docking Station WD19TB 180W
D2 - Dell Docking Station WD19 130W (non Thunderbolt, Dp USB-C)

Only 1 combination out of four have this mouse freezing issue, which is combination of L1 connected to D1, any other comination works well, no mouse freezes at all.
When I connect my wired mouse directly to L1, its working well, no mouse freezes. I heard its happening to USB3 connected devices when you connect Dock stations via Thunderbolt ONLY.
The only different between connecting L1 and L2 to D1 is that I charge L2 via TB, and L1 via dedicated charger.

What I have connected to Dock station:
- speakers
- 2x DP monitors
- Ethernet cable
- USB keyboard
- USB mouse

I have tried some BIOS configuration, what I ended up using is:
1. Enabled Thunderbolt Technology Support
2. Enabled Thunderbolt Boot Support
3. Enabled Thunderbolt Adapter Pre-boot Modules
4. Disabled C state
5. POST Behavior -> Thorough
6. Enabled USB PowerShare

I have installed all drivers shown to me by Dell SupportAssist. Right now it shows me "No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates".
I also updated all Dell dock station drivers from: https://www.dell.com/support/home/pl/pl/plbsd1/product-support/product/dell-wd19tb-dock/drivers

This solution does NOT work for me: https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/Precision-5530-and-TB16-dock-mouse-and-keyboard-freeze/m-p/6218669#M936 and any other solutions I have found.

So I have few questions.
1. Can I fix it so mouse is connected to D1, L1 is connected to D1, and I dont experience mouse freezes?
2. Why connecting L2 to D1 works well without problems? (if L1 to D1 does NOT)
3. Can I somehow turn off charging via TB for L1, since I always use dedicated charger to L1, but dont turn it off for L2, because I want L2 be charged via TB? I want this to avoid "you have attached a power adapter to a port that does not accept power" warning everytime I turn on laptop.

Please for quick help, I still have like 7 days to return the dock if I cant fix it.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 23rd, 2020 07:00

@Arthe  I'm not sure how to account for the mouse behavior, but if it only happens with one system, I suspect this might turn out to require an update to that system's BIOS and/or Thunderbolt 3 controller.  If you're already current on both of those items (might want to check support.dell.com directly just in case SupportAssist isn't offering something it should be), then I don't have anything else to suggest.  The WD19TB doesn't require a third-party USB controller driver like its predecessor the TB16 did, and as of this writing there hasn't been a firmware update provided for the WD19TB -- although I guess keep an eye out of that too.

As for the message about having attached a charging device to a port that doesn't accept charging, this has come up a few times in the Laptops section of the forum (didn't realize that there was a Precision laptop section under Workstations until seeing this thread!), and practically always in the context of using the Dell G Series laptops.  Unfortunately there is no way to disable the WD19TB's ability to provide power, nor a way to suppress that message on the system side.  Ironically on a similar boot-time message about having attached a power supply with a wattage rating below what the system is designed to use, there IS an option to suppress that permanently.  The obvious fix in my mind would be for Dell to issue a BIOS update that offers that same suppression option for the one you're seeing, and I can't imagine why they haven't.  I can absolutely see the value in showing this message by default, but once a user has been informed that their TB3 port doesn't support charging, how many more times to do they need to see that?  And that would certainly be more convenient than having to toggle an option on the WD19TB side to disable or enable charging as you switch between systems.

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2020 08:00

@jphughan  Thanks for you answer. I will try to search for drivers manually as you suggested and will let here know how it ends up.

Anyway it seems to affect any USB connected device to the dock. Its not as easy to notice on the keyboard as it is on mouse, but it happened to me twice on keybaord also. I read also about USB headphones that peolpe hear stuttering. Unfortunately I dont have USB headphones atm to check that. I saw this issue happening to people not only on Dell docks, but docks with TB in general. This issue is known since 2016, so I dont think they will update BIOS to fix it, if they still did not.

I also saw some explanation why TB may have problems with USB devices, and it was only affecting USB3 ports. There was so much technicality that I couldnt understand exactly why, but solution was to slow down USB3 to USB2 bandwidth somehow, and use only USB2 devices because USB3 devices wont work if you downgrade it.

Do you know if I can connect Dell dock via USB C male / male cable in order to make it work the same way as through its build-in cable? (to avoid charging)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 23rd, 2020 08:00

@Arthe  If you're asking about connecting to the dock through its "upstream" TB3 port on the back of the dock near the built-in cable, I haven't tried that.  It might actually work, although I believe the dock supplies some amount of power even out of that port -- maybe 15W?  It wouldn't be enough to run a laptop, but it might be enough to trigger that warning.  And I'm not sure the dock would accept a display input signal from that port in order to drive its display outputs.  But if you wanted to try it, you'd need an actual TB3 cable, not a regular USB-C cable.  Not all USB-C cables will carry TB3.

6 Posts

April 27th, 2020 09:00

I have tried to search manually for drivers, installed few (one related to TB but its just windows app, not a driver, and it was installed already before). It did not resolve this problem.

May 5th, 2020 21:00

Hi.  I have been experiencing similar problems with the USB mouse and keyboard failing when connected to the WB19TB dock.

I have a Vostro 7590, and both the 7590 and dock were purchased within the last two weeks.  When I connect a USB mouse and keyboard to the dock, both will fail, at random and separate times, and will not stay functional longer than approximately 10 minutes.  Their LEDs remain lit, but functionality is completely dead.    Removing and reinserting brings the devices back, but failing always ultimately occurs.  Using any combination of the 3 USB ports on the dock makes no difference - the devices will eventually fail.  On restart, both devices will work, then eventually fail.

Plugging the mouse and keyboard directly into the laptop USB ports resolves the issue - both devices stay connected and have not failed.  However, doing this defeats a purpose for the dock...

Other uses of the dock have not had problems: two monitors are connected via DPs and working well, and the LAN port is working well.  I have not tried audio, yet.

I set the laptop up first with all pushed updates and am on the current BIOS.  The dock came a couple days after the laptop.  When the dock arrived, I followed the driver update directions.  The WD19TB instructions list to install the Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update, but Dell would not allow the download due to incompatibility.  I don't see that there is anything left to update for either the 7590 or WD19TB.

When I first connected the Thunderbolt cable to the 7590, nothing popped up.  I had to launch the Thunderbolt Control Center from the Start menu.  Also, the graphics for the Thunderbolt Control Center are not the same as the examples in the setup instructions - the actual graphics are generic and plain.  There is also not a Thunderbolt icon in the system tray.

I am trying to determine if this is an isolated issue with the dock to warrant return/replace, or a legacy issue with the WD19TB, warranting return and abandonment of using this dock.

Grateful for any information on this.

Dave

May 8th, 2020 11:00

Hi.  The issue I mentioned on 5/5/20 is resolved.  It turns out the new USB mouse was defective.  I purchased a 2nd new mouse and both the mouse and keyboard are working steady when connected to the WD19TB.

Dave

May 21st, 2020 22:00

I too have the same problem but have confirmed no problems with my mouse or USB headphones.

The Dell G5 connected to the wd19TB continually freezes mouse inputs, for about 1/2 sec every few seconds and will give regular BSOD failures if my wireless headphones are connected via the TB docking station.

No issues with either when run via my work laptop ( Lenovo thinkpad) running solely from the TB port. Mouse  and headphones was replaced with no change in laptop behaviour.

Same thing if connected via the other TB port in the docking station as well.

It must be a bios or driver issue associated with the laptop and very irritating.

June 15th, 2020 21:00

Well, Dell support went through some basic troubleshooting with me and the end result is that the G5 is not compatible with the WD19TB docking station as per the link provided to me.

https://dell.to/3cZEQMS

Who would have thought a Dell laptop is not compatible with a Dell docking station, yet a Lenovo thinkpad is?

I'm hoping that Dell iron out whatever compatibility problem there is as my initial searching done prior to selecting the docking station didn't clearly state it was incompatible.  

It's a very odd problem.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

June 19th, 2020 03:00

Click the link below for resolving erratic cursor issues with your laptop. Also, reinstall the drivers for the touchpad from the link below.

How to Troubleshoot and Resolve an Erratic cursor on a Dell Notebook PC

Dell Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

3 Posts

September 21st, 2020 20:00

Try entering the BIOS and disabling the Intel VT-D in the BIOS security or system settings  -- worked for me, hope it might work for you. 

March 29th, 2021 04:00

I had the same issues with my Dell Inspiron 7590. 

When I called the customer support they also told me that they can't help me because my product is not compatible. 

You would think that checking whether my DELL Laptop has thunderbolt 3 would suffice to ensure that it works with a DELL docking station. But apparently not. 

However, disabling VT-D also seems to have solved the problem. Thank you very very very much for suggesting the solution!  

April 24th, 2021 10:00

Update: it did not solve it but made it better. 

Weirdly enough it works when only my keyboard is plugged in

December 8th, 2023 01:09

I had the same problem. Then I saw this which solved my problem. Hope it helps.

Wireless keyboard/mouse not working properly? – CalDigit

I just used an extension usb cable

No Events found!