Highlighted
1 Copper

Will an external GPU work with my 2018 Precision 5530

Ok so I have a new precision 5530 that has the new 6 core Xeon E-2176 processor, 32GB DDR4 ram, Nvidia Quadro P2000 w/ 4GB GDDDR5, a 1 TB M.2 PCIe SSD, and a 15.6” UltraSharp 4K screen. Although it does run the games I have tried so far on it pretty well and doesn’t lag, I wanted to get an external GPU to keep at home so I could turn it into a powerhouse laptop when I wanted to game. I don’t know much about external GPU’s and I was looking at the Razer V2 core eGPU case with one of the new Nvidia Geforce cards like the RTX 2080 or GTX 1080. First off, will an external GPU work with my laptop? There is a thunderbolt 3 port on the laptop. Are there other better options for eGPU’s than the Razer? I’m not to concerned with price I just want it to be easy to set up and use. Thanks in advance for any feedback
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Will an external GPU work with my 2018 Precision 5530

This is basically a "try it and see".  It's not supported by Dell -- the only official Dell support for eGPUs is with Alienware systems, and then only with the Alienware graphics amplifiers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Will an external GPU work with my 2018 Precision 5530

Hey - did you try? I want to try too. I want to use oculus rift

0 Kudos