Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2022 12:00

new Dell Precision 7760, problem (conflict) with Nvidia platform controllers and framework

I also found another problem in my laptop, in the device manager, one of the Nvidia devices does not start with error 31.

and in the report of the Nvidia driver it is clear that 2 technologies do not work. (I highlighted them in the screenshot).

Dinamic Boost 2.0 and WhisperMode 2.0 - does not work.

DynamicBoost2.0WhisperMode2.0 disabled.pngnv drv error.pngnvidia platform controllers and framework.png

I found a description of a similar problem on the Nvidia forum, but there is no solution for my laptop. 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-laptops/6/398641/nvidia-platform-controllers-and...

March 4th, 2022 15:00

Dell support team contacted me and we were able to troubleshoot and solve it.

So, here's the trick: BIOS version 1.5.0 is the key. I'm not sure which BIOS version my 7760 arrived with (I think it might have been 1.6.x), but I am sure that I downloaded and installed 1.7.0 (still got the file in my Downloads folder). During our troubleshooting the Dell rep pointed out that the latest version on their website is 1.5.0 and asked me to try it. I guess any newer versions got eventually pulled of without anyone really noticing, but downgrading to 1.5.0 really fixes it.

First step: Turn off UEFI capsule firmware updates in your BIOS as a precaution. Windows OS sometimes upgrades the firmware right back, so this prevents it. I'm not sure if this would be the case as well, but since version 1.7.0 was displayed in the Device Manager I think that's what would happen.

After downgrading the BIOS and rebooting the system NVIDIA Platform Controllers and Framework was displayed twice in the device manager, once in the error state and once working fine. I rebooted to safe mode, used DDU to uninstall the drivers, rebooted back to standard OS, quickly enabled airplane mode to prevent any automatic driver download and checked the Device Manager. NVIDIA Platform Controllers and Framework was still there twice (now both in error state), so I manually removed them from Device Manager, rebooted again, installed latest 511.79 drivers from Nvidia website and that was it. No more exclamation mark in the Device Manager, Platform Controllers and Framework is displayed once in the Device Manager without any error and after checking Nvidia Control Panel I can confirm that Dynamic Boost 2.0 is displayed as enabled. WhisperMode 2.0 is still with No next to it (meaning it's not working), but I'm not even sure if Quadro supports that, working Dynamic Boost 2.0 is the thing I was really after and that's now working. I haven't had the time yet to do any performance testing, but I think Dynamic Boost 2.0 will be noticable.

Btw. there's a chance you can just downgrade the firmware, remove the device in error state from the Device Manager and call it a day. I did the whole DDU process just to be sure everything is clean.

January 21st, 2022 12:00

link OneDrive with photo and 1 video with Nvidia platform controllers and framework problem 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnbNM1HOfM7ug41TpIAaed5m5ipM4A?e=gWmLBG

1 Message

January 30th, 2022 11:00

I have the same problem on my 7560.

26 Posts

January 30th, 2022 15:00

I do as well on my 7560

February 4th, 2022 01:00

Dell reacts strangely to customer reviews, they probably think that their customers themselves should solve the problems that arise on their laptops.

I would not even be surprised if the Dell support service suggests that I myself contact the Nvidia support service to solve my problem Dell Precision 7760, problem (conflict) with Nvidia platform controllers and framework.

February 4th, 2022 01:00

Same here, Precision 7760 with RTX A4000. I tried multiple DDU, multiple drivers, I even disabled memory integrity in Defender (as suggested on some forums)... nothing. I hope Dell takes a look at it.

13 Posts

February 7th, 2022 11:00

I have the same problem after complete new installation with original Windows installation.
Any solution for this topic? It worked before new installation

6 Posts

February 17th, 2022 19:00

I vaguely recall the machine shipping with 20H2, I tried to build ours with 21H2.  I wonder if this has something to do with it.  I do NOT want to be building W11 machines yet.  

6 Posts

February 17th, 2022 19:00

This makes me feel better - I'm not the only one seeing this.  All of our brand new PWS 7560s with A2000 cards do the exact same thing.  I've tried all 6 Nvidia drivers from Dell's website, as well as the R510 U3 (511.79) DCH drivers and the standard R470 U8 (472.98) drivers.  None work. 

The ONLY setup that seems to work is to let Windows Update install whatever ancient video driver it downloads.  I'll ask my rep to see if we can loop in a TAM and get someone to look at this.....     

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2022 17:00

I spent all day dealing with this - and I have some semi unhelpful answers.   

Building with one of these 7560's W10 21H2 and no driver slipstreaming the unit will not find any network controllers which is fine - build with a limited setup and start installing drivers - skip installing the Nvidia video driver and install the ethernet driver.  Let it find the default Windows Update download its default version of 462.53 and the DCH version of the Control Panel applet. 

THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS and doesn't throw errors.  The first time Command Update runs and demands you download the critical update for (the 472.88 Nvidia driver) , it starts throwing the -31 error in Device Manager.  Any driver aside from this one from 462.53 driver from Microsoft causes this - Even Dell's download of 462.53 

I saw there was some Dell Firmware in the optional Windows Updates and as it turns out this is an as-yet unreleased version of BIOS 1.7.  (The latest according to Dell is 1.5)  This doesn't help either.  

So should I build all of my 7560's with a ancient driver with known security vulns that Dell is very eager to replace ...... and hide the update to their current driver build recommendation ... but it's sorta broken? 

6 Posts

February 24th, 2022 20:00

This is my last update on this since I spent more time on this and decided to return all of our units.  

If you use the Dell Factory image (the already EOL 20H1) and build off that, it for some reason has no problem upgrading and which is why they probably never noticed.  The problem manifests itself if you start out with a fresh install of 21H2.  Unless you left Windows download it's plain 462.53 during the driver installations once you install a network controller and then disable Command Update from ever updating the ancient driver, that seems to be the only way you will not run into errors.   I didn't get a chance to test out if W11 gets around this issue since we have no immediate plans to migrate to it.  

I don't need the horsepower of the Axxx series cards, we only went with them because they supposedly quicker to get which turned out not to be the case - A T1200 will suffice just fine and hopefully they'll work the same as our other units and will take a fresh 21H2 install.       

Might wanna get one of your engineers to try to run a fresh install of Windows 10 rather than your factory image over the hardware that seems to be problematic and figure this out.  

• 

25.1K Posts

February 27th, 2022 04:00

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’d be glad to look into this for you right away. Before we proceed, we strongly recommend that you remove the Service Tag from the public post for security reasons. Also, as our interaction would involve sharing personally identifiable information, please private message us so that we can start working toward a resolution. 

6 Posts

March 8th, 2022 12:00

Looking back we upgraded all of our machines to 1.6.1 out of the box.  Had never seen a Dell BIOS break a video card.  We got a new set of machines from Dell and these appear to have been resolved not using the now-disappeared BIOS versions. 

QA - kind of important.....

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

March 8th, 2022 12:00

@Gu1d0 

What Bios is on the new machines?  I have a 7760 that came with 1.2.2 (July 2021) and since upgraded to 1.5.0, 1.6.1, and then 1.7.0 and do not recall seeing this issue.  Machine has an RTX A5000.

6 Posts

March 8th, 2022 15:00

@rinconman285 

The last round of machines 7560 that we sent back 2 weeks ago all came out of the box at 1.5, and were immediately upgraded to most current before imaging, which at the time was 1.6.1.  In nearly 30 years of working with Dell hardware, I had not seen a BIOS update break a video card driver until this.  

For the testing we did, the only way I saw it not break the video card driver install/update while on BIOS 1.6.1 was if you left the Dell factory image (20H1 if I recall) in place and installed on top of that, or if you did a clean install of 21H2 and left the ancient drivers Windows Update dumps on the machine when you connect it to the network and never upgrade away from those. 

We start from a clean install and tried all of the different driver versions that was on the Dell site, plus a handful from direct from Nvidia, and not a single one would work without throwing that -31 error on the Platform and Controllers Framework for our units which had A2000 cards.  Since I was hedging my bets it was the A series card family that seemed to be the issue, I returned my entire last order back to Dell and ordered the machines that better fit us (T1200s are more than enough for our needs - we only bought "Prebuilts" with A2000s because they were thought get delivered sooner which turned out to be not true) ... They arrived in record time and have no issues with 1.5.  Had I had time to wait it out and find out the current fix was to roll back to 1.5 we may have kept the more powerful machines but I needed that answer 4 days sooner when @heikkuri mentioned the newer BIOSes were withdrawn and the fix was a rollback. 

All good - we have right-sized machines and those who have the A series hardware have a fix for the issue.   

No Events found!