Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2014 11:00

1163w Printer Network issue

My first post, so, hello!

I have an 1163w printer which works fine -- except that it times out and drops off the network.  I have to physically restart the printer to kick the jobs loose, which somewhat defeats the purpose of a wireless printer.  I went into the Printer Manager and turned off the System Timeout setting, but that didn't help.

Anyone else had this issue and maybe knows a fix?

Thanks in advance.

5 Posts

November 24th, 2014 17:00

If you are able to print successfully via Google Cloud Print but unable to print otherwise over the network, then you need to call Dell Tech Support and request a warranty replacement. There were batches of printers that had faulty firmware that stopped listening on ports 80 (web interface) and 9100 (TCP/IP RAW Printing).

Dell seems to have fixed the firmware problem in their replacement B1163W printers.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2014 13:00

Anyone?

Bueller?

5 Posts

March 6th, 2014 08:00

We are having the same issue. System Timeout is disable, but the "Powersave" option will only allow for a maximum of 120 minutes, with no option to disable that as well. If the printer goes into powersave mode, the only way to make it functional again is to completely power-cycle the printer. We definitely need a fix for this...

1 Message

March 10th, 2014 07:00

Hello.. has anyone come up with a solution for this ? Please help. 

297 Posts

March 10th, 2014 19:00

Is it the IP Lease that is timing out? If that is the case, then give the printer a static IP Address on the network. That should fix you up.

105 Posts

March 14th, 2014 01:00

From what I researched, printer times out and drops off a network after a period of idleness which causes the printer to drop the link to the router or vice versa. Experts said that it has something to do with energy saving when the printer sleeps.

To fix that, here are some tips that you can try:

• From the choices, pick "Wireless Settings" and "Advanced Security Settings"
  • Choose "WPA2" security
  • Modify "Group Key Update Interval" from its current setting to another value
  • Apply the changes.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2014 08:00

I have this same issue, but it's not losing network connectivity.  After a period of time, the printer will go idle and will not respond to print jobs.  However, it maintains network connectivity and I can ping it when this is occurring.  I have assigned a static IP address as well.

It does appear to be doing something with energy savung, but I do not see how changing the WPA key update time will fix this.

297 Posts

April 1st, 2014 06:00

In your case it will not help. What you are running into is the power saving feature of your printer. Unfortunately I cannot find anyway to disable it or change the timing of it. You have to hit the power button to wake it up.

5 Posts

June 6th, 2014 16:00

Still no update from Dell on this? This printer has been removed from our network due to this flaw, as it is never available on the network anyhow, and folks are sending print jobs that end up stuck in a queue, creating even more headaches when we power-cycle the printer to wake it up. A simple firmware update ought to handle this. We'll give it until the end of this month, then it is going back to Dell as defective under warranty. We usually have great luck with Dell printers, but this one is a lemon so far...

1 Message

June 9th, 2014 03:00

I've got that issue to on a B1165nfw.  It drives me up the wall because I bought the printer to be the main home printer and now the kids cant get their school and uni stuff done on it unless I pull the plug out and plug it back in first.  It is absolutely hopeless.  So I called support (after my email went unanswered) and was told that there is a beta on the support site which will fix it.  But I cant find the beta.  Any ideas?

2 Posts

October 1st, 2014 15:00

Any updated?

2 Intern

• 

259 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 10:00

Hello SMCOBLISH,

Sleep issues from a network connected printer are caused by the printer losing its DHCP lease. When the printer goes to sleep, it stops communicating with the network. This causes the DHCP Server to release the IP that the printer is using. The printer will not renew its DHCP lease until it is woken up (which now has to be done manually since the printer no longer has an open line of communication to the network).

To resolve this issue, have the user set a DHCP reservation for the printer on their DHCP server or router. In order to do this, the printer will need to be set to DHCP mode for address assignment. Once the printer has obtained an IP through DHCP, the user will need to access whatever device manages DHCP address assignment to create the lease. If the user is using static IPs for their printer, they can reset the static IP to the same address as the DHCP reservation once the lease is in place (this is not necessary, however).

Regards,

Joseph E

[tag:iworkfordell]

2 Posts

October 5th, 2014 15:00

Joseph E,

What you just stated is completely irrelevant and false concerning the problem that everyone is referencing regarding The Dell printer issue.  This issue occurs even when using static IP addresses.  It has nothing to do with renewing or changing IP addresses related to DHCP.  Simply stated, the printer goes to sleep and the only way to recover and print is to power clear it.  Dell should release a firmware update to correct this, but has not.  This printer is junk.  The fact that Dell cannot release or offer a fix for this issue is ridiculous.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2014 12:00

This is not the case. The printer is assigned a static IP and the DHCP lease is reserved. The problem is that the printer has no option to disable the auto-sleep. Once the printer is in sleep mode it is unresponsive. The only way to correct the issue is with a power cycle. There is definitely an issue with the firmware.

5 Posts

November 4th, 2014 15:00

I confirm that the DHCP solution does not work. In fact, this is NOT a networking issue due to the two points below:

1) I reserved the printer's MAC address within my router's DHCP server AND I downloaded and applied the latest Oct 2013 firmware. Neither the DHCP address reservation nor the firmware update resolved the issue.

2) Spooling the job via Google Cloud Print works perfectly fine ALL THE TIME on this printer. I've tested this out 1hr, 5hrs, 24 hrs into a single power on. However, the spool sent via the local network fails after 1hr.

No Events found!