Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 26th, 2006 18:00

1815dn - Email Server Settings: Unable to save login name

We just purchased a 1815dn and I am trying to set it up to automatically email all received faxes. Our email server requires authentication to send emails.

So I go into the menu for "Email Setup" and click on "SMTP Server Settings". I type in the IP address, click authentication and fill everything out. Now, our login name has the underscore character "_" and we have to type in the full email address. Therefore, the login names contains an underscore, the @ character and a period "." for the .com part. Upon submitting the information, the next page says that there is an error with the login name and doesn't save it.

Now, under "Email Alert Setup" I have the same settings saved in there and it works with no problems.

Is there anything I need to try? Is there a new firmware to fix this?

Thank you for your help,
Michael

4 Posts

July 28th, 2006 15:00

Your login name is just the stuff to the left of the @. It's not asking for your full email address there, so don't include the '@mydomain.com' part.

July 31st, 2006 23:00

Thank you OpaqueBlue. That is exactly what I was talking about and you helped to clarify it better.

8 Posts

July 31st, 2006 23:00

I would like to second miguel3239's request to get this problem fixed. All of my SMTP servers require a full email address because the SMTP servers are shared across multiple domains. I've had to put in place a custom SMTP server just to handle the printer - not a job for the faint of heart.

Feanturi, your answer about using "just the part to the left of the @" is not correct for my situation since it's a shared SMTP server. The full email address is required.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 1st, 2006 03:00

All,

I sent those Top 10 request up the line.

August 19th, 2006 16:00

The 1815dn email features are designed for an INTERNAL smtp server, ie. your company's internal mail server. It is not designed to use your ISP's/Gmail/whatever SMTP server.

August 19th, 2006 18:00

@WalksWithWolf wrote:
The 1815dn email features are designed for an INTERNAL smtp server, ie. your company's internal mail server. It is not designed to use your ISP's/Gmail/whatever SMTP server.

But what if you do not have an internal mail server? There are a lot of small businesses, which is the case where I work, that have their email hosted and since this printer is geared more towards small businesses, it should allow this type of SMTP authentication. Plus, what if that is how an internal mail server was setup because you have multiple domains.

So, it is important that this feature is enhanced (just simply tweaked) to allow a full email address to be used as a user name.

8 Posts

August 19th, 2006 20:00

WalksWithWolf,

Unless you were on the 1815 design team, then perhaps you should reconsider trying to tell everyone what the 1815 was "designed" to do. If you were on the 1815 design team, then I suggest you spend a lot more time talking to small businesses such as mine to learn about how our businesses operate.

11 Posts

September 21st, 2006 19:00

I am experiencing this exact issue and I am frustrated that you reported this back in July and I am still seeting it in September.  How hard is it to allow non alphanumeric characters in the smtp server login for this printer??  Come on get it together and release a firmware upgrade that fixes this problem!  I agree that few small businesses have internal mail servers.  Why run your own server when there are 1000's of perfectly good smtp servers to choose from out on the web.  If anyone has a work around for this other than setting up your own smtp server please post to this forum.  I have not been able to find a free smtp server out on the web that works with this printer. 

3 Posts

October 14th, 2006 13:00

Guys, here's a way around it.Got the same answer from Dell support.

Under Email Settings, User authentication, check Enable Auth User and enable Guest account. Create a  guest login name with NO special characters (@,_,-, etc) and add  User Authentication list below as your regular email address with normal login credentials. Go back to SMTP server setup, specify your SMTP server ,  and use guest login info you just created (I have  requires authentication off). Make sure you have the fax forwarding set up. Worked for me.

Only thing that still doesn't work for me is the default subject and default body text, which I changed, but does not show when I receive a fax/email.   I have latest firmware and drivers on XP pro.

11 Posts

October 14th, 2006 14:00

Thanks!  I will give it a try and reply with my results.

11 Posts

October 14th, 2006 15:00

Zeus says "User Authentication list below as your regular email address with normal login credentials."

I followed your instructions but they did not work for me. 

Does your SMTP server require you to use your email address for the user name during authentication?   If it does not then you may not have exprerienced this problem.  Example email address:  john@sbcglobal.net.  If your isp allows you to just use john to authenticate with the SMTP server then you have not seen this problem.  Most SMTP servers on the web want the full email address as the username.  

I am using SBC Yahoo DSL and their smtp server requires authentication using the full email address.  The user names for their servers are in the following format.   username@sbcglobal.net.  In other words my normal login credentials are username@sbcglobal.net and a password.  When adding a user to the "User Authentication list" I tried to make my auth id username@sbcglobal.net and it said it would not accept the @ symbol in the auth id. 

What ISP are you using to send email using this printer?  Your resonse will help me understand your situation so that I can try and resolve mine.

Here is the format and settings for my ISP's SMTP server:

Password:  password
SMTP Server:   smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Port: 25

11 Posts

October 14th, 2006 15:00

ok, I found an smtp server provided by my ISP (SBC Yahoo DSL) that does not require Authentication when sending emails.  However, you have to be connected to their network for it to work.  These types of SMTP servers are not always available with everyones ISP. Dell still needs to address this issue with the next firmware release.  The printer should allow us to put any character we want in a SMTP user id.  Why does this printer not allow certain characters?

3 Posts

October 14th, 2006 16:00

Yes my SMTP server requires authentication. My outlook settings are
smtp server: mail.nnnn-yyyyy.com (port 25) and logon id = myname@nnnn-yyyy.com.

My ISP is roadrunner, from Time Warner Cable, but my email address is not from them. I use a small business email address from our web site hosted by an independent web hoster.

I did experience the problem (unless I misread this thread about receiving faxes to email), because when I specified my normal logon, it said invalid login name. Dell support told me they don't suport special characters in the login name, so I tried what I've described and it worked for me. If that's any help, email showed up as from myname@nnnn-yyyy.com   to myname@nnnn-yyyy.com, and in outlook it was sent in the junk folder. If you send yourself a fax (I have 2 fax machines so I can test it) and you see the message in the web browser while it's receiving, you'll see "receiving" and then "sending email". If you see the msg sending email (not "auth" error), then it did work, but maybe the the email was flagged as spam.

Let me know if you have any more questions. It should work...

11 Posts

October 14th, 2006 18:00

Thanks for the help.  The reason why it worked for you is because Road Runner does not require the email address as the username.  In fact, Road Runner does not require any authentication to send email using their SMTP server according to this link http://www.help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_outlook2003.aspx.  Note. The instructions at that link do not say anything about the out going server screen in outlook for SMTP authentication.  I may be wrong but it appears that the only reason why you login is to check email not send it. 

Is your "Auth ID" your email address (with @ symbol) in the 1815dn -> Email Settings> User Authentication -> User Authentication List?  If you change it to your email address watch the error message pop up stating that @ symbols are not accepted in that field.  I know you have your email address setup as the SMTP username in outlook but I'm not sure that Road Runner requires that based on the above link.  Of course Road Runner SMTP servers in different states may behave differently.  When I logged into the Road Runner Support site it made me tell them which State and City I was in. 

For example:

SBC Yahoo SMPT usernames are in this format:   username@sbcglobal.net  (the @sbcglobal.net is required for authentication)

After checking several other email providers I found that it was more common that ISP's require a full email address to login to the SMTP server.  Road Runner is more of an exception by not requiring authentication to send.  Verizon is a provider that does not require the @ symbol as part of their smtp login.  Of course Road Runner and Verzon are large providers but so is SBC.  There are litterally hundreds of other providers that use the @ symbol in the login.  I able to find only a handfull of email services that did not require the @ symbol in their login.  If they did not require an @ symbol they all required encryption which this printer definately does not support.  

I read a review by PC Magazine ( http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1997206,00.asp) before I bought the 1815dn and the reviewer had Verizon DSL.  He said this feature worked great for him and naturally I thought it would well for me also.  After looking at Verizons support site explaining how to login to the SMTP server I now realize why it worked for him and not for me.   

Anyway, I found two old smtp servers that SBC still maintains that do not require authentication.  The primary SMTP server that they recommend on their support site does not work with this printer because it requires the full email address to login.  Which means that unless someone digs into the problem and Googles all over the place they probably won't figure it out.  SMTP servers out on the open internet that do not require a login for SMTP are basically non existent since they would almost immediately be hijacked by spammers to send all kinds of junk. 

At least I can now send faxes via email now that I found the SBC smtp servers that do not require authentication when on their network.

Anway, hope Dell fixes this problem soon for those less fortunate.

Message Edited by lledguru on 10-14-2006 03:12 PM

3 Posts

October 15th, 2006 00:00

Yes that would be true, except that Road Runner does not provide my email address, nor my SMTP server. Anyway, glad you found a way around the problem. Maybe what I tried can help others in the same situation...
No Events found!