Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2008 20:00

3110cn - missing Duplex in printing preferences for some users

Have had the 3110cn for quite awhile and am mostly pleased with it.  Several weeks ago, the main two people who use the printer somehow lost the ability to specify Duplex in Printing Preferences.  The Duplex option and the dropdown is just not there!!

BTW - Network connected printer

If I add this printer on a PC that has not used the printer before, same problem.  I have uninstalled driver on individual PCs, and even reinstalled on server to no avail.  My laptop has the Duplex option available (and always did) and it works just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.  The two without the option are the ones who most often use it!

25 Posts

August 27th, 2008 21:00

You need to queiry the printer to find out what options it has, like the duplexor or extra trays, before they become available in prefrences.

Using the PCL driver:

If you look in properties and advanced or installed options (one of the tabs should be named something like that) you will find a "get info from printer" button. Hit it.

Using the PS driver:

If you look in properties and advanced or installed options (one of the tabs should be named something like that) you should just be able to make the duplex option available by selecting available next to duplexor in the list.

sorry i cant remember the specific tab names etc. but you should find it with a bit of digging.

9 Posts

August 28th, 2008 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  That did the trick.  What I don't know is how it got changed, or how some of the other users continued to have the duplex option available during this issue.   Oh well....    Fixed now.  Thanks again!

June 4th, 2009 16:00

I have the exact same issue, our commander wants to print duplex. However, after I try and go to the printer status, the search is unable to come up with or find the printer - even when specified by exact IP?

The printer is online, works fine, I can print to it and even browse to the web interface provided...but can't discover the availability...any ideas?

thanks.

1.7K Posts

June 5th, 2009 06:00

First of all, the optional duplex unit must be installed.... it is NOT standard on this model.

Next:
1. Open Printers and Faxes and right-click the printer object.
2. At the bottom of the list, click Properties
3. A properties window with 8 tabs arranged in ONE row should open (if two rows, you opened the Post-Script driver by mistake; close and open the other driver); click the Options tab.
4. Click the "Get Information from Printer" box. After the operation completes, verify that a "Duplex Module" is listed in the "Items:" list.

June 5th, 2009 09:00

Roger that.

We do infact have the duplex hardware piece installed. However, I was tracking all the way, but when you click the "Get Information fro Printer" box, it can't find the printer. I search by broadcast address, specific IP address...every option available, but for whatever reason it can't find the printer. I know the network layers are working fine because the printer prints, and I can PING, etc.

Any other suggestions? Maybe plugging in the printer directly, searching for it then changing the settings?

Thanks again.

June 5th, 2009 10:00

IN FACT... we have several Dell 3110cn printers - and on about 1/2 - you can click the get information from printer and it works immediately - the other half...can't seem to find the printer.

Could this be a hardware issue? Or possible a network issue?

June 5th, 2009 11:00

Figured it out!

Under the same "Options" tab, if you just highlight the "Duplexer" options, then under the drop down menu below, select, "Available" and it will give you the option when printing...it worked great.

1.7K Posts

June 5th, 2009 12:00

I was just getting ready to reply...... Glad you got it figured.

On the systems that could not find the printer IP...... how were the drivers installled on those systems?

Are these systems on the same subnet as the printer?

June 5th, 2009 13:00

1. They were installed just like any printer really, walking through the Add Printer / Fax Wizard through Server 2003, using TCP/IP as your port, then loading the drivers that I got from Dell.com. I had initially put the PS drivers in, but the zip file Dell gives you, has both.

2. We have 7 of the Dell 31XXcn series, they were spread out across 3 different subnets - at least 1 on each subnet worked, so it wasn't layer 2/3. I even took the time to upgrade the firmware on the printer - BUT - when I browsed to the web interface on the exact same model that did work...had the same firmware version? So you got me there, but that fix does work - just telling the print driver what it has installed.

Thanks! Have a good day.

V/r

2 Posts

June 18th, 2009 11:00

I have the same problem on a 3000cn printer.  Been working fine on networked computers until now.  Now, I can use the Duplex from my original computer on the network, but it is unavailable from additional computers (but before it was available).  When I get to the "Get Information from Printer" button, it (and all other options on the Options tab) is grayed out.  So neither highlighting the Duplex option or clicking "Get Info" will work for me.  Any advice?

1.7K Posts

June 18th, 2009 13:00

The 64k question..... what has changed?

Any network changes? Software changes? Updates?

Do you know exactly when this happened? You might be able to "roll-back" one day prior to see if the problem goes away, which might give us a better idea of the cause.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2009 15:00

I don't know exactly when it happened,but within the last 10 days.  I don't think I've installed any new software during that time, or made any other changes to anything.

Clearly SOMETHING changed, eh? 

So what exactly should I "roll back?"  The computer where it all still works OK?  Or one (or all) of the computers where the duplex is now mysteriously unavailable?  Or what?

1.7K Posts

June 18th, 2009 20:00

I think I'd play it conservative and only work with one of the machines having a problem

1 Message

August 19th, 2009 12:00

Hi,  I'm having the same issue with my 3110cn and haven't been able to resolve.  I can print duplex from the computer hardwired to the printer, but can not access the duplexor settings from a network computer.  About a month ago, I was able to print duplex from the network computer with no issue and all of a sudden it stopped working. There were no major system/network changes during this time.  It just stopped working.  very strange!

When I access the printer options from any network computer, all text in the Options tab is grayed out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks-

September 3rd, 2009 13:00

I am having the same problem

When I access the printer options from any network computer, all text in the Options tab is grayed out. The printer is connected to a main office computer and the other computers are networked.

It used to work but now doesn't. I am runing XP SP3 on 2 computers and cannot access the duplex mode. However on my laptop running Vista. I can .

Has anyone presented this problem to Dell? They need to update this driver.

No Events found!