Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 14th, 2008 00:00

5110cn erratic envelope jam errors

I've got a 5110cn now out of warranty. It was replaced twice for toner problems and now I am having jamming errors on envelopes.  Regular paper jams are very rare.  Everything is set correctly on software - envelope, size, thickness, landscape, etc. We have replaced all our envelopes with one that was working perfectly, no wrinkles and no jams.  In the past few months it has become unbearable. We run a few hundred a week at the most and it's now taking us hours of frustration.

The envelope feeds exactly 2" and then we get a jam error. It always feeds exactly 2" when the error happens. This happens erratically and sometimes it's on the first, sometimes we'll get 20 before the error.  I have cleaned and checked the rollers as best possible, see no obstructions at all.  I've read that some people have corrected this on other Dells by bending forward the sensor. Exactly where is the sensor??  It feels exactly like a sensor problem, not an actual jam at all. The first roller does not seem to turn less than it should or spin more. I've had lots of printers and copiers and this type of problem ususally comes down to worn rollers or sensor.  This unit has under 35K copies (98% 8 1/2 x11 paper) so worn rollers are unlikely.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Doug 

1.7K Posts

April 15th, 2008 00:00

It doesn't really specify in your post what paper source you're using.... Are you using the Tray or the MPF to feed the envelopes?

Just in case you didn't know, envelopes work much better when fed from the MPF. Envelopes are not intended to be used in any of the trays, per the Owners Manual and the Users Guide.

Any of the feed rollers can be cleaned using a warm water and a mild soap solution (never alcohol). Wash the grime from the rubber tire surfaces then rinse completely. Dry with a lint free rag..... an old clean tee-shirt works good.

Also, what exactly is the error message displayed when the paper jam occurs?

Message Edited by llynster on 04-14-2008 08:10 PM
No Events found!