Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2007 04:00

922 AIO W/Vista & XPSP2

I've spent a couple of weeks reading all I could both here and Microsoft's Vista Forum in hopes of resolving the printer issue. I thought it would all work out fine once the new drivers came out, but no such luck! I tried ALL the tips given here and finally broke down and called Dell for support. After spending about 20 minutes with one guy, he told me he reached the end of his knowledge base concerning this issue and connected me to the printer division of tech support. I let her go into my laptop and work her magic (I hoped!), but again, no luck. In fact, she told me the 922 AIO wasn't made for "wireless" and I'd have to upgrade and buy a new printer! (This after I'd explained MANY times to her that I was using a desktop running XPSP2 that was hooked into a router and my new laptop w/Vista Home Premium was wirelessly connected via the router.) The printer is hooked up to my desktop. So, my question is: Has anyone been successful in sharing the 922 AIO using XP and Vista? I saw one message that said they were able to print & scan but not fax. Has anybody gotten it all to work? I was pretty amazed when the tech support person told me it wasn't possible, I have to admit. I've been buying Dell computers (as has my son & my ex) for years and have noticed the level of support has definitely gone downhill. In fact, she seemed more interested in telling me my warranty for my printer was expired (what does that have to do with sharing it?). I figured I just spent almost $1,500 for a new laptop and it wasn't out of line for me to expect to be able to use my old printer with it and that I was entitled to phone support to solve the issue! Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a rant, but I'm really frustrated over this whole thing and have been pulling my hair out and gnashing my teeth trying to get it up and running. Betty

9 Posts

April 10th, 2007 13:00

I cannot get the 922 work with Vista at all. Has anyone?

6 Posts

April 16th, 2007 18:00

I have finally received my Vista upgrade and installed it on my Dell dimension 9200.  As many people before me haev just discovered I can get my all in one 922 machine to scan and copy but no printer.  And just like others I have just bought new printer cartridges.

I have read several posts from people trying to get their printers to work and yet no-one seems to be able to achieve this?

When will the Dell tech support folk fix this?

Who knows??

1.7K Posts

April 20th, 2007 21:00

To get your printer installed there are specific things you must do before installing the driver. If you have upgraded you system from XP to Vista you should have been told to remove the driver. If you did not you will need to remove/rename a folder so that you will not get a communication error. Then you will need to follow the instructions on how to install the driver correctly. One huge thing is to not connect the printer until the driver asks for it. Also, it has been found by another user that the install will go better if you do not have the system connected to the internet because Windows tries to load a driver for you which will cause problems. If you have either plugged the printer in w/o the driver to the Vista system or did not uninstall the driver before upgrading to Vista please follow the instructions from Eric Rendel at the bottom of this thread. COMMUNICATION ERROR received after installing Vista Printer Driver

Once this has been completed you can install the drivers following these instructions: HOW TO INSTALL MY PRINTER ON VISTA

If you follow these exactly as they set out you will get the printer installed. The reason an OS reinstall may be needed is if for some reason these do not work then an OS reinstall back to factory specs can get the system cleaned up and on a clean system the driver loads with out any problems.

6 Posts

April 21st, 2007 17:00

Thank you very much for taking time to to respond to my post.

Sadly, I have done everything suggested except reinstall my OS. Goven that my OS is a Vista upgrade on an XP installation on a computer I bought from Dell only last Autumn I am sure you will appreciate that I am loathe to do that. Why do Dell expect me to go to all that trouble and waste so much time simply to be able to use my Dell printer again?

Please tell me that Dell can do better than that?

http://www.dellcommunity.com/
Quote Post

9 Posts

April 21st, 2007 18:00

I have also done all that except re-installing vista (which was preinstalled). I am not getting a comunication error. The printer doesnt show up at all as a printer.... I can only use the scan-function. I will probably buy a new printer...

6 Posts

April 21st, 2007 19:00

Thank you. Now I have my printer back. What did I do? 1. Uninstalled the printer and all drivers. 2. Disconnected the printer 3. Deleted all files in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86 (one by one, trying to delete the folder itself did not work) 4. Downloaded the new driver 5. Disconnected the internet 6. Reinstalled the new driver... Hey presto, I can print again!! Good luck anyone else who has the same problem!
No Events found!