Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2010 16:00

924 Pinter driver for Win7 64-bit

Hi, first time poster:

I have a new Inspiron N5010 Win7/64bit and am trying to install software from my CD for my Printer 924 AIO. Win7 will not install the software because it can't find the driver even after search. Does one exist and where can I obtain it?

Also, I have an older Inspiron 6400/E1505 (XP-Pro, 32bit) that I got 4 years ago with the above printer. Is there a way that I can use the same printer with both laptops?

21 Posts

December 9th, 2010 18:00

Its Aaaalllliiiivvveeee!

Rick,

Installed the drivers for Win7 following your directions and it work. I can use the XP without 64-bit drivers and the Win7 with the Vista SP2 drivers. I have not created a home network yet but I can use the printer with either PC by plugging it directly to the printer. My next quest will be to create a wireless home network.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Peter

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2010 16:00

panos333,

On the Windows 7 computer, try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect this computer from the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers and install them in the Compatibility mode. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Since you want to do printer sharing, on the computer the printer is attached to, allow the printer to share. If the computer is 32-bit, then the 64-bit drivers might need to be installed so the printer and computers can communicate. Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Also try reading...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Rick

21 Posts

December 9th, 2010 10:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the welcome.

Have yet to try your solution and have a couple of points to clarify.

1) I have not used the printer with Win7 yet; only attempted to install the drivers. Do I still need to do the patch uninstall?

2) To use my printer on both 32- and 64-bit PC you suggested installing the 64-bit driver on my XP as well as the Win7 PC. Will this be accepted by XP?

3) I don't have a home network set up but if I understand correctly, I could share the printer through a network wirelessly? I am assuming that the drivers issue would still need to be resolved, correct?

4) To set up a home network I would do in on the XP first and them join it with Win7, correct? Also, any direction towards easy step-by-step network creation directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2010 11:00

Peter,

If you did not connect the printer to the Windows 7 computer, then you do not have to download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) Most people have already connected and then the printer has to be removed before installing the correct way.

Let's answer 3 first, you can setup the printer on the XP machine, then allow printer sharing. You can try just installing the drivers on the Windows 7 machine but I have read in other places, that the 64-bit drivers need to be installed on the 32-bit machine to communicate but I cannot confirm this as I have used a wireless printer server on my older Dell 964 Printer and I now have a Dell V715w Wireless printer. I didn't like the idea of leaving a host computer on to print document. Sharing a printer through a wireless network shows the basic instructions.

The best instructions to share the printer are at Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

***Remember that firewalls and virus programs will try to block communications and need to be allowed past the firewalls.***

Rick

21 Posts

December 9th, 2010 15:00

Rick,

I ran the patch and removed the printer from my W7 but when I when to set the Compatibility Mode there were 3 Vista selections; V, V+SP1, and V+SP2. Since I have W7 Home Premium, which of the Vistas do I select?

And similarly, when I check the options for the 64-bit drivers on my XP 32-bit PC, the most recent OSs are Win NT4 SP5 and Win 2000. If I need to install the 64-bit drivers on my XP which of these would I select?

Peter

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2010 16:00

Peter,

I used the Vista SP3 selection, when I install my drivers.

Install the drivers, then choose network and choose the proper selection, that the printer is connected to a host computer. See if it finds the printer and computer. Remember about the virus protection and firewalls. See if you can print or not. If not, then try installing the Vista 64-bit drivers on the XP computer in the XP compatibility mode, but only do this if you can not get the printer to print. Make a system restore point, ust in case.

Rick

21 Posts

Just one more question. I'm a little unsure as to how to begin. Do I set up the wireless network with both PCs at the same time or start with just setting up the XP first and then join with the Win7.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Peter,

Gald you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

You may want to try...

How to Network with HomeGroup in Windows 7

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2010 20:00

panos333,

Try starting with the Windows 7 machine, then  if you read the link above, it said the other computer will be easier.

Rick

21 Posts

December 10th, 2010 20:00

Hi Rick,

I've run into a problem. By trying to enter my XP's computer description I found out my Computer Browser service could not be stared. The error message is 1075 and reads:

Could not start the Computer Browser service on Local Computer.

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or have been marked for deletion.

I searched but little into or solutions seem to exist. Since this thread is devoted to printer drivers, could you direct me to some into on how to resolve? I gather that this is germane to allowing PC to network.

Thanks,

Peter

PS: I started a home group network on my Win7 and it now includes my router and Win7 but I couldn't find the XP. I think the above problem may be part of why.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 10th, 2010 21:00

Peter,

I would probably answer the thread in the Dell Networking, Internet, Wireless Forum

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

If my memory serves me correctly, you might need a  panos333 username and identical password on both computer. Make sure they're both on the same workgroup, XP's default is MSHOME and Vista/Windows 7 is WORKGROUP( the guest account does not qualify as an identical account)

I neven got into networking, the children never wanted to share files and folders with dad, go figure. :emotion-5:

Rick

No Events found!