Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2010 08:00

944 printer scanner unit open and change cartridge messages

i ran out of black ink, changed cartridge (real, new dell ink), and got "change cartridge" message on printer monitor and "scanner unit open" message on computer if i tried to print from the computer.  unplugged printer for 5 minutes, no help, deleted printer, downloaded new driver, printer seemed to work, except when i turn the printer off and then turn it back on, the same messages return and the printer will not print.  any help??--thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 10th, 2010 15:00

randycs,

Please unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Now plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has. Now open the printer with the power on and the cartridges should go to the center to be replaced. Take out both Dell Series 5 ink cartridges and make sure the tape is off the cartridges and insert both back in and make sure the seat properly and latch. Close the printer and it should print an alignment page. If you still get the error message, please read bleow.

Black cartridge = black side(left side)           Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Photo Cartridge = Black side(left side)         Color cartridge = Color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement one.

Rick

4 Posts

June 10th, 2010 15:00

hi rick,

i did what you suggested, and when i turned on the printer the change cartridge message came back on.  when i delete the printer and then re-install the driver, i get a mesage that the software is already installed and recommends that i update.  after the driver loads, it installs the all-in-one page (as it should) and the printer works just fine, until i turn it off, then when i turn it back on--the change cartridge message shows up on the printer monitor.  i have left the printer unplugged and no usb cable overnite and it still has the error message on the monitor when i turn it on--any other ideas??--thanks

randy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 10th, 2010 16:00

Randy,

When the printer is working correctly, you should be able to make a copy of a document, even with the computer turned off, if I'm correct. So if you're getting the error message from the ink cartridge, then I would say you have a cartridge with a faulty sensor. Trying to figure out which one. If the cartridge is new, take it to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

4 Posts

June 10th, 2010 18:00

hi rick,

you are correct, i turned the computer off and the printer made a perfect copy.  however, i turned the printer off, then on and the change cartridge message showed up.  another point, i had a black and a color cartridge that were"re-manufactured" (iknow, i know), i only replaced the black, so i have a real dell black and a non-dell color.  so if that's not an issue, then i'm assuming that the new dell black might be the faulty cartridge--is that logic correct??

thanks so much,

randy

June 10th, 2010 20:00

Randy,

Some generic cartridges work and some don't. I have seen Dell Series 5 ink cartridges come with bad sensors. I would take this back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

4 Posts

June 11th, 2010 10:00

rick,

thanks so much for the fast and good advice, by the way, if i leave the printer on with the "change cartridge" message scrolling, after about 15 minutes the printer resets to the main menu and prints just fine.

randy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 11th, 2010 21:00

Randy,

I still suspect a bad sensor in the cartridge. I have seen them work with no problems and then I get a few posts about ink cartridges and it seems to be the same series. Just my instinct. Take to place of purchase for a replacement. If from Dell, call them for a replacement.

Rick

No Events found!