Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2013 08:00

968 on W8

I would like to get this right the first time. I have an XPS8700 and if I understand this correctly I should not install the program from the disk? I am setting this up through a USB cable. I do want to have the Scan function to work. If I understand this correctly I then should install the 64 bit Vista drivers for W8 64bit (r211825,http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-968 ) (the link referenced was not available)? After I install the drivers then I should connect the USB cable and power on the printer and go to device manager and point the printer to the drivers? What about the function of the scan program, do I need to install the firmware? Should I then run the program from the DISK? I hate to beat this to death but then I hate to trash a perfectly good printer. Any and all help is appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 14th, 2013 19:00

BeepsWhirls,

Sorry for the delay, work.

I have found that most Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 systems, you can use the Vista drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode

The Dell Fax program and the OCR program are on the printers disk. If the fax program does not install, you can try...

BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2013 11:00

BeepsWhirls,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

Printer wired or wireless? If wireless, was the printer working on your network? If yes, then try the instructions below, choose aditional computer, network. You'll need the printer disk to install the OCR Program.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any, then Windows Defender is the default. Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

27 Posts

November 13th, 2013 14:00

Rick thanks for helping, I am still confused by this. So I will give a little more explanation. I have not ever installed the Dell 968 printer or any printer on the new XPS 8700, it is an Windows 8 operating system that was installed from Dell that I have not upgraded to Windows 8.1 so I have not needed to apply any drivers. I haven't even tried to put the install disk in as of yet. I will be hooking the printer up with a USB cable and no it will not be using a wireless connection. The link you have provided for the DELL 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7) is a bad link. I went to the link I referenced in my above post and retrieved that one (Vista64Win7) but have not installed it until I know I am doing things in the proper order. If I understand your instructions I should install the driver in compatibility mode and after the message not connected I should connect the printer. I think I understand all of this. I just need reassurance. My other concerns are with the program disk and the console files themselves. Do I then need to install the Dell All_In-One Center, Dell Fax Solution, program from the disk itself? Also, I need the scan function to work on the printer and I'm not sure what sequence I need to get that installed. There is a firmware solution download at the same place the vista driver was located in and was curious if I should install it? I don't want to install things that will throw out the drivers that I just installed from the Vista driver install. Thanks once again for your time and help.

27 Posts

November 15th, 2013 20:00

Thanks for your help Rick!  After I downloaded the Vista driver and set compatibility to Vista SP2 and Ran as Administrator the file opened up the Dell All In One Center and installed it. I am able to use my printer now and also have full function of my scanner and fax. I don't really know if I could have gotten away without installing the Abby program from the disk for the SCAN function because I did install it from disk. You are an asset to the community. Thanks again for saving me the expense of a printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 17th, 2013 12:00

BeepsWhirls,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Abbyy Fine Reader can be installed from the printer disk and has worked with Window 8 with no problems.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!