Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 14th, 2011 13:00

A940 error "Communication Not Available"

All of a sudden one day my printer stopped working. I'm running Vista on my Inspiron 530 with the A940. Now I'm getting the error message "Communication Not Available" and "The printer cannot communicate with the computer". I've already tried turning it off and on, switching USB ports, and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers (several times), but it's still not working. I know the cable works, because when I reinstalled the drivers, the test page printed just fine.

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance!  :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 14th, 2011 13:00

silvrshdw,

Did you try these tweaks?

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

7 Posts

March 14th, 2011 15:00

It was already un-checked for all of them. Also, what does the wireless adapter have to do with my printer? The printer is connected by wires. Thanks, though.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 14th, 2011 17:00

silvrshdw,

You said that you reinstalled the printer. Did you...

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Dowonload and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper Vista drivers. Install the drivers, you'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell A940 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

7 Posts

March 17th, 2011 20:00

Yes, I did all of that before, and I just ran it all again tonite. Still prints the test page just fine, then I keep getting the same error message when I try to print something. The copy and scan functions work just fine.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 18th, 2011 03:00

silvrshdw,

Try these tweaks...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

7 Posts

March 18th, 2011 04:00

See above - you recommended that already, and the boxes were all already unchecked.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 18th, 2011 14:00

silvrshdw,

You have an Inspiron 530. There is usually issues with the USB Ports. Try posting about issues with the USB Ports in the Dell Desktop Forum.

Rick

7 Posts

March 18th, 2011 15:00

Hey Rick, it wouldn't let me reply directly to your last post - I've tried several different USB ports and gotten the same error message each time. I'm going to try a different printer cable tonite just because (though I doubt that's going to fix it, since the test print page works just fine).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 18th, 2011 20:00

silvrshdw,

Have seen quite a few problems with the usb ports communicating on the 530 models. Wondering if there is a setting somewhere. I'm thinking the usb ports might not have enough power and lose communications. Don't know if a powered usb hub woiuld help or not.

Rick

1 Message

March 19th, 2011 09:00

I have been having the same problem and had carried out all the trouble shooting tests.

Then when i checked my firewall programs, i found that it had blocked "communication to the printer". When i edited it to allow i have not had any more problems and my printer is working fine. Try this

7 Posts

March 20th, 2011 10:00

Tried a different printer cable - no difference. Therefore it's not the cable.

Tried several different USB ports, no difference, not the port.

Tried completely disabling the firewall, still getting the same error message. Therefore it's not the firewall.

What really bugs me is that the test page still prints just fine when I reinstall the drivers, so I know that the printer isn't totally broken. Grr...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 20th, 2011 15:00

silvrshdw,

I would even say if you tried to install this on another model computer, it will install and work.

Rick

7 Posts

March 20th, 2011 19:00

Possibly, but I'm not sure how that helps me now.

No Events found!