Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 27th, 2007 03:00

AIO 962 Printer prints out blank pages everytime I try to print

Hey everyone.  I am new and I was hoping that you might be able to shed some light on this issue I am about to present to you.  First let me say, if someone knows if this printer retains mac address or any information about every machine that is connected to it, it would explain alot to me.

The problem I am currently having is that I have this printer which is hooked up to my work laptop (Sony) and it prints fine.  However, I also have a Toshiba laptop that my family uses and ever since day one when I installed the drivers from the CD it has failed to print properly.  Initially it would print but it would print incoherent information.   Whenever I would try to print it would first spit out a couple sheets of papers.  Then it would try to print the information I was trying to print but it would come out garbled.  Nothing would be legible.   So, I decided that I would reinstall the drivers and I did and it did not help.  I still kept having the same problems.  Well thinking, ok this machine could use with a fresh install of the original windows XP home edition and so I did.  Re-installed the OS and all its drivers.  Installed the drivers for the printer and everything went fine.  When I went to print the same thing happened.

The only thing I can deduce from what I have seen is that the printer is detecting my Toshiba laptop based on some type of hardward address and storing the original job in a que somewhere and everytime it sees this hardware address it tries to print the job in que.

So here are my questions.
Does anyone know if this printer retains information about all the machines that it talks to?
Does it retain a que of jobs it has?
If any of these are true, then is there a way to do a reset and I dont mean unplugging it from the wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am about at my witts end with this printer.  By the way, I can print from the Toshiba to another printer in my house with no problem.  So the problem seems to be only with this printer.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 27th, 2007 09:00

First, the printer doesn't know what brand of PC (laptop) that it's connected to.  It doesn't maintain a list in the printer.  Second, if there is any buffer of data in the printer, once it's powered off it loses that data. 

It goes back to the Toshiba.  Try bypassing the print spooler and see if that makes a difference.  You didn't say what operating system is on the Toshiba, but make sure the drivers you installed are for that operating system.   Also, when installing printers (and all in ones), you first run the install program and only when the program tells you then physically connect the device.  If you connect it first either wrong drivers will be installed or the install will fail.

April 27th, 2007 11:00

Yea unfortunately thats not exactly true according to what I am seeing.  I plug in my desktop and it prints fine.  I plug in the Toshiba after installing a new operating system and new drivers and it wont print.  It just prints out blank pages.  I plug in my laptop and it prints fine.

So the only conclusion I can come to is that its detecting some type of mac address on each machine and matching unfinished jobs in the que to each machine?  By the way, I have unplugged it and restarted the laptop and still nothing.

April 27th, 2007 11:00

Oh by the way the os on the Toshiba is Windows XP Home Edition and and the other machines are the same thing.  Drivers used for the printers are the ones that come on the CD...

April 27th, 2007 12:00

Yea unfortunately thats not going to help either.  I tried that before.  I went to the last restore point and it didn't help.

Either way, I do appreciate your help.  Do you know if Dell people browse this forum at all?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 27th, 2007 12:00

You could do a system restore back to a date prior to first installing the printer.  That would give you a "clean start" and try installing again, in case something got corrupted.  Just one issue with the system restore, if you installed any other software or updates they will have to be reinstalled again, but it won't affect user data or e-mails.

April 27th, 2007 17:00

No you are right. I wasn't trying to contact Dell Directly believe me. I just thought that maybe they would watch the boards from time to time and chime in on something interesting. Hopefully someone on this forum has had a similar problem and respond to it.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 27th, 2007 17:00

There are some Dell moderators but this is 99% users helping users, not a way to contact Dell support personnel.

1.7K Posts

April 27th, 2007 18:00

I will chime in here on this. The printer does not capture any type of hardware address. MAC address are related to NICs for the internet, such as the hardwired port on the back of you system or your wireless card. USB devices sometimes must be put back in the same USB port to work. I know I have an MP3 player that does this. It will work any any USB port but the application that transfers my book must have it on the same port. I do know believe the printer drivers are that way, but perhaps when put on a Toshiba it does. No telling. Here's what I suggest. if you have the CD with the driver put it in and uninstall the driver using the uninstall utility from the CD. Then go out and download and install the following driver. There is also a firmware update for this printer that you probably should do. If you choose to do this please read all the instructions before starting. Also, once you start do not turn off the computer or printer until it is completely redone. (Even though the printer shows it's finished the computer finishes a bit later so don't move anything until the computer is done too). Here's the link for the firmware. Let us know if this helps.

April 28th, 2007 18:00

Thanks for the response.  I wasn't suggesting that the printer uses the Nic's mac address. I was suggesting that maybe it uses something similar to keep track of each machine. 

However I do really appreciate you jumping in here and offering this suggestion.  I will try and update the firmware on the printer and also uninstall the drivers with the cd's unistall software.   Thanks again I really do appreciate it.  I will let you guys know if this works.

1.7K Posts

April 30th, 2007 14:00

No problem. Some times it's hard to tell what is meant in typed conversations. I just wanted to make sure. Let us know if the firmware update works.
No Events found!