Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2005 02:00

Black and white default printing

I am trying to set my printer preference on the 3100cn to print in black and white, rather than color, until I deliberately tell it to print in color. I set the printer properties through Word to output in black and white, and set that change as a new Favorite. When I close Word and reopen it, the property still shows the new Favorite name, but the output is back to color. Is there anyway to tell the printer to prinrt in black and white until I want it to print in color?

88 Posts

May 3rd, 2005 03:00

Hi ebdrmn,

Changing the settings through MS Word is specifically designed to act exactly as you mention - only change for the specific print session you are using while that document is open. This is an advantage if you want to, say, temporarily print to a different tray on your networked printer to get special paper (or something like that).

The more permanent way to set the printer configuration would be to do it from the control panel - go to start > control panel > printers > see printers, and select the properties of the 3100 from that page. It will look exactly as it does in word, but will change the default setting, rather than making a temporary alteration.

An easier way to manage this issue is to simply install a second print driver, so you have on 3100cn printer for 'color' and a different printer for 'black and white'. This is very easy to do, and you can search this forum for the specific instructions. I have mine set up this way, with 3100cn BW as the default.

Good luck,
oncall

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2005 04:00

That worked. Thanks
No Events found!