Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 4th, 2011 12:00

Brand new Dell V305w - problems :(

Hi, I've just bought a brand new Dell V305w printer to use with my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Unfortunately I'm having not one, not two, but THREE distinct problems, and I'm at the end of my tether - any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 - I've had the laptop for about a year and since I installed the printer software every time I turn the laptop on I get the "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required to continue" error message. Tried to download this from Microsoft but it seems it's already installed. Then I tried to install the 64-bit printer driver from the Dell website, but when I click Download, it downloads the Download Manager and then tells me there are no files in the folder to download! Can't make any sense of that - what do I do next?

2 - Alignment problem - the printer says to remove the tape from the cartridges, but the printer came with the cartidges already installed and there is no tape on them. In addition, the black cartridge doesn't print at all when it prints the alignment page or the test page - would this be a problem with the cartridge itself or the printer?

3- It won't print wirelessly - I installed the wireless, the screen on the printer says the signal is strong, but when I try to print, I get a Communication Error message - any idea how to solve that one?

I'm going mad trying to fix all this, the printer had really good reviews so I went for it, but it's given me nothing but headaches trying to get it working - once again, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 4th, 2011 12:00

jmcbubbles,

First start with what setting you're using in your wireless router I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

The make and model of your computer and operating system is helpful. Was this computer upgraded to Windows 7 or come with Windows 7? If upgraded...

When you installed Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try using the Vista (or XP) 32-bit drivers, for Windows 7 32-bit of the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install the drivers in the Compatibility mode

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Error After Upgrading to Windows 7

Are you using Dell Series 9 ink cartridges?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 9 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 9 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 9 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 9 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 9 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would take these back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 4th, 2011 14:00

jmcbubbles,

Sorry to overload you with all the information at once.

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I have seen bad Dell Series ink cartridges, so if you take it to the place of purchase for a replacement, thenshould not be a problem.

Take care,

Rick

May 4th, 2011 14:00

Thanks a mil for the advice Rick. A friend of mine just had a look for me - we uninstalled it, and installed the version of the CD I got for the V305 (rather than the V305w which is what I have) because the w CD I got wasn't compatible with Windows 7 but the V305 CD was. So now the .NET error is gone, and even though the laptop thinks it's a V305, the wireless printing is working perfectly.

Oh and just to answer your question, the laptop came new with Windows 7 installed.

The cartridges are still a problem, they are Series 9 alright and I did what you suggested but the black one still isn't working, so I think, as you say, it's probably a bad sensor and I'll go back to the POP for a replacement.

Thanks again for the quick response! :)

May 5th, 2011 17:00

jmc bubbles - Can you scan with your printer as since I got a new laptop my 305w won't scan. I think the drivers are missing. Maybe you have a disk with your new printer especially for Win7 which mine isn't.

May 11th, 2011 08:00

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I thought I had replied to this already but apparently didn't! Before I saw this post I hadn't even tried scanning! I was so caught up with the printing issues. But yes I am able to scan and copy with no problems. It's strange because I ended up using the disk for the V305 which is compatible, but I would have thought it would cause problems as it's not the disk for the wireless printer, so I assumed it would be missing some drivers - but everything seems to be working fine now. Hope you manage to get your own sorted!!

May 11th, 2011 09:00

May 11th, 2011 13:00

Testing

May 11th, 2011 13:00

Sorry for the blank posts and the testing!!! Pudgy just told me it was because I am running IE 9 and I have just put the site on compatilbilty mode!!

I have tried to post 4 times and everytime it lost my post - so I will start again.

No I am not sorted - I tried everything as did Pudgy.  I then got onto Dell who spent over 3 hours one day and 30 mins the next and gave up.  They wanted me to go to the Printer technicians dept who wanted to charge me nearly as much as buying a new printer because it is 2 years old BUT there is nothing wrong with the printer because I can scan using my other laptop which is in XP.

So let me check. You say you used the disk which came with your printer - well my disk in 2 years old and says for XP and Vista. So do you have a newer disk which is Win7 compatible? I tried my disk when I first got the laptop and ended up with a known error message everytime I restarted the laptop. Unfortunately the Dell technicians were not aware of the Fix for this and I had to do a complete reinstallation (they now say it was because I had a corrupted file but everything was working fine :) ) The technician this time insisted we try it again. I couldn't scan  (also couldn't print) and it was only when she was off the phone I realised that the error message was back on again when I restarted the laptop. It took me a few tries but I did eventually get rid of the error message using the Fix on this forum which I had previously bookmarked!!! I then tried downloading the driver from the Dell site again. I couldn't get the printer to work let alone scan. However I knew that there had been changes during the day to this driver. I persisted uninstalling and reinstalling a few times  and finally hours later (had they fixed the bug?) I  installed again and I could print!!

OK  so the state of affairs now is

1) I can printer using my new Win7 laptop

2) I can scan using my old XP laptop using the same printer

3) I left it with Dell that when they have a fix for this problem they would let me know unless someone comes uo with a fix on this forum

No Events found!