Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2015 13:00

C3765dnf - Firmware update error - (016-387)

I recently purchased a Dell C3765dnf Printer. I downloaded the latest Firmware update and attempted to install via USB. The LCD screen on the printer got to 99% then gave an error. It reads:

Port: USB

Module: PANEL

I have tried to reboot the system, and the same thing keeps occurring. The LCD screen will show updating until it hits 99% then the error screen comes up. I have tried Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer. I have tried updating the drivers, I have tried the suggested troubleshooting on the dell website for that error code. Nothing works! - I cannot reset the printer to defaults, because the LCD screen is stuck on this error screen.  

30 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 23:00

download the printer's  Firmware one more time, there is corruption on the downloaded Firmware. you may want to use another browser to download to avoid a cached copy of file being sent to you again.

March 29th, 2016 08:00

Have the same issue... How to bypass screen? computer doesn't detect printer../.

February 24th, 2017 07:00

I know this is an old thread, but a year later I too have encountered the same issue.  I entered the printer' service tag on the Dell Support site and downloaded the first firmware update (A12, as the other involves CacStar, which we don't have on our printer.)

I ran the Update Printer Tool, bundled with the firmware archive, and it found the printer on our network, no problem.  I uploaded the firmware via the tool and when it was done, the printer rebooted and was stuck on error 016-387 - Download Error, Port: USB, Module: Panel.

I tried to enter Diagnostic mode by power-cycling the printer + holding down 4,5,and 6 simultaneously, and entering the default pass code "22", then "5" on the keypad.  At this time the printer should display diagnostic functions, or a "down button/function" on the screen, which in turn should offer an NVRAM reset function, to clear the data.  Instead, the printer reboots itself, and ends up right back on the error screen after "downloading data."

I figured I *might* be able to connect to the printer via USB, and did successfully, but whatever mode this printer is stuck in, won't accept a new firmware update (I downloaded a fresh copy on another system), even through the update tool recognizes the printer and allows to send the firmware update.

Dell want's $60.00 for a chat session, as my printer is slightly out of warranty (by two months.)  I work for an IT firm, and have over 20 year experience, so firmware updating in general is nothing new.  

I've found nothing online that leads to any kind of a solution.  I am not familiar with how this printer stores ROM data, or if there is some sort of battery backup.  I checked one of the boards for jumpers or switches and found none.  Is there any other way to reset this printer other than the numeric pad?  Has anyone found a solution?  Thanks!

February 24th, 2017 12:00

You may want to try and update the FW with it connected via network instead of USB and see if that works

February 28th, 2017 07:00

Tried both ways.  The printer won't get as far as network initialization.  Under USB, the firmware update utility "sees" the printer, but won't update the firmware (no error message here, just remains at zero for the upload.  I let this set for over 2 hours, no progress.)  I'm certain I have the right software as I entered the printer's service tag for the Dell support site.

I've also tried leaving the printer powered off for over a half hour all connection disconnected, powered it back on, scanned our subnet to ensure the printer isn't on net... nothing.

Is there a setting, jumper, switch, or battery at board level which could be manipulated to return the printer to factory setting?  Or could there be a procedure to reset which doesn't require a function on the touch-screen that is inaccessible due to the defective firmware upload in the first place?  A different power-on key combination, perhaps?  ;)

I'm running out of ideas.

1 Message

March 21st, 2018 15:00

Has anyone found, or provided, a solution to this issue? I'm getting the error “Controller Error: Restart Printer. Contact customer support if this failure is repeated. Error Code: 016-317" after attempting to update FW via Ethernet.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2018 05:00

Same here ..

37 Posts

June 11th, 2018 05:00

Which error are you getting Tom-S? 

Is it the 016-317 or 016-387?

016-387 means that the firmware file you are trying to use is not in the correct format.

No Events found!