Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2009 10:00

Cannot install dell AIO 948 All In One Center

I cannot install dell AIO 948 All In One Center on my new pc. I purchased a Gateway DX-4200-09 with Windows Vista Home Premium. When running the setup disk that came with my printer which was purchased and originally set up on my Dell XPS Gen2 pc, the All In One Center fails to install. I am unable to use the scan and fax functions on the 948 AIO. Since this is a 64 bit OS I was wondering if I need different drivers for the printer. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2009 10:00

mlprescott,

Can you please tell me how you're connecting the 948 printer to your computer?

Also can you please tell me the make and model of your computer and Operating system?

Rick

6 Posts

March 24th, 2009 11:00

I am connecting with a USB cable. My pc is a Gateway DX-4200-09 with Windows Vista Home Premium. It is the 64 bit OS.

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2009 12:00

Mike,

I also forgot to mention, after you have the printer setup...

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or

Try this FREE OCR Program.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2009 12:00

Mike,

We have a few issues with some computers connecting, so that why I was wondering the make and model of your computer.

Try following the instructions below and let me know what happens.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 948 Printer.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2009 13:00

Mike,

Just download the Vista 64-bit drivers. I have this made up when people are connecting more than one computer and if they search, they can find everything easier.

Rick

6 Posts

March 24th, 2009 13:00

When you say "Download the proper drivers:"

Do you mean all of the driver you listed below that statement or just the Vista 64 bit drivers?

Mike

6 Posts

March 24th, 2009 15:00

Did not work. I went through the whole process twice. When the setup.exe attempts to install the All in One Center, I receive a dialog box stating

"AIOC.exe has stopped working. A Problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

This is the same message I got when attempting to install the printer originally using just the disk that came with the printer.

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2009 16:00

Mike,

This patch is supposed to be like a cleanup utility that removes the printer drivers from your computer, a MUST run on Vista machines.

I usually tell everyone to disconnect their printer, run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart your computer and then install the proper drivers, waiting until you're prompted to connect the printer(powered on)

You might be able to manually un-install the printer using the start, Dell Dell Printer, uninstaller program, if there or using the control panel, add/remove programs, un-install. To make sure the printer drivers are not there, try this. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restarting the computer, finalizes the un-install process.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Mike,

When you tried t run the patch, did you right click on it and run as administrator. If not, then that could be one of the problems.

Rick

6 Posts

The 1st patch that you recommended downloading and running in your instructions was not an uninstall application at all. No I didn't try to run it as an administrator since that statement was made in reference to the ABBY OCR software. When the download opened the unzipped folder I simply double clicked on the Setup.exe.

6 Posts

March 24th, 2009 17:00

It is actually an installation application for the printer. It starts the installation wizard and goes through all of the steps that the Setup.exe on the printer disk goes through. Anyway I did use the Uninstaller program from the Start Menu under te Dell Printer folder. It found three copies and removed them all. I ran through the installation again after that using the patch with the same results that I get with the disk Setup.exe.

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 24th, 2009 17:00

Mike,

Just make sure the printer is removed. Let's try forgetting aboput the patch(it was supposed to be a removal tool) After the printer is removed, then restart your computer.

Now install the Vista 64-bit Drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Rick

1 Message

October 5th, 2010 13:00

OK, I usually do not post to these solution threads as I don't usually solve any problems, LOL.... but I spent two days installing this AIO 948 (DELL) on my computer (VISTA) and it installs, the All in One software will print photos and scans from the AIO programs, but once I try to use Microsoft Word, it wouldn't, it would say there was no communication!  After clicking and reinstalling again and again, I accidentally hit the troubleshooting button, the troubleshooting screen came up, then I closed it, clicked continue on the printing error page and IT WORKED!  I have to do this EVERY time I print from MS Office products, but it works.  I even tried continually  clicking the continue button to see if there was a timer issue or if it take a certain amount of clicks, but it has worked everytime.  As long as you click troubleshoot, close the little trouble shooting window and then click continue again, it has been working for me.  not ideal, but saved my sanity!!

No Events found!