Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2012 20:00

Cannot print in color - could it be the Printhead?

I've done everything I cold think of doing to get my printer to print in color (it prints black/white just fine).  After reading through a number of other posts, I tried uninstalling the printer and reinstalling...  no luck.  I went out and purchased new cartridges thinking they were just old - no luck....

Another user posted something about their Printhead being the problem... so, I went onto Dell Support Chat to see if they could help me find a replacement for mine...  unfortunatley, they quoted me with "Dell is an online businesss...  you can try Best Buy, Costco..." I couldn't beliieve this.  So, I went to the net to see if I could locate a replacement online...  man, this is a challenge :(

I have a V515w....  and it's a little over a year old.

Has anyone else been lucky enough to find a replacement printhead for their product, and did it work?  If so, can you let me know where to find one?

Thanks a ton!!

1.8K Posts

September 4th, 2012 06:00

Hi virdman57,

Υοu can try reseating ink cartridges, printhead and deep clean the printer then check if it works.  

Make sure you have a new ink cartridge(s) before you begin. You must install new cartridges immediately after removing the old ones, or the ink remaining in the printhead nozzles may dry out. 

Reinstall the ink cartridges from the steps below:

• Turn on your printer.
  • Open the printer.

Note: The printhead moves to the cartridge installation position.

• Press the release tab, and then remove the used ink cartridge or cartridges.

Note: Do not reinstall used ink cartridges once you remove them from the printhead.

• Remove the new cartridges from the foil, and then remove the protective cap from each of the ink cartridges.
  • Install the black ink cartridge and then the color ink cartridge. Use two hands to install each cartridge.

Note: Install the ink cartridges immediately after removing the protective cap to avoid exposing the ink to air. 

• Close the printer. 

If the cartridges do not seem to fit, make sure the printhead is properly seated, and then try installing the cartridges again.

• Load plain paper.
  • From the printer control panel, press wrench symbol.
  • Press the arrow buttons to scroll to ‘Maintenance, and then press ΟΚ.
  • Press the arrow buttons to scroll to ‘Deep Clean Printhead, and then press ΟΚ.
  • A cleaning page prints.
  • Press the arrow buttons to scroll to ‘Align Printer’, and the press ΟΚ.
  • An alignment page prints.

Νote: Do not remove the alignment page until printing is finished.

For more information you can also refer to the printer manual from the link:

http://dell.to/Q2nMF9 

In case the issue is not resolved, you can also reset your printer to factory default settings.

Note: Resetting printer to factory defaults will delete all the printer customized settings, fax numbers and address book set up on printer.

• Please take out the power brick from the back of the printer and once you do that please let me know.
  • Now please press the start and cancel buttons together and keep them pressed.
  • While keeping them pressed please reinsert the power brick back.
Note: Do not release the start and cancel buttons till the time you see Dell logo on the printer LCD screen.
  • Once you see the Dell logo on the screen release the buttons, after that let me know, if you get the option to select country/language.

In case the issue is still not resolved, you can update the printer firmware.

Note: Before you update the printer firmware, please remove the printhead from printer. Once the firmware is updated, reseat the printhead and restart printer.

You can follow the steps below to remove the printhead from your printer: 

• Open the printer and lift the latch.

• Remove the printhead.

• Wipe the printhead contacts using a clean, lint-free cloth.

• Reinsert the printhead once the firmware is updated.

Once the printhead is removed, you can download the printer firmware from the link below:

http://dell.to/RCoAmU 

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. You can Pause , Stop , or Continue  downloading the items you have selected. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer and printer.

Please reply in case you have further questions.

No Events found!