Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2011 04:00

DELL 2335 MFP SCAN "NOT AVAILABLE"

I have a Dell 2335 MFP printer which is connected to a network with 3 pc's 2 of the pc's work completely fine and we can scan to however the other pc which is configured int he same way does not when selecting the pc which you want to scan to it says connecting after which it says "not available"

i have unintstalled and reinstalled the drivers also making sure all is selected i have also checked the firewall which is all fine

anyone had any such issue??

1 Message

October 1st, 2012 17:00

Hi,

I have had the same problem and I spent all day trying to figure this out! Not only did I have this issue I ended up having firewall issues which caused the problem to take longer.

Anyways, this is how you fix the issue for 64bit windows 7 computers.

Control Panel --> System and Security --> Windows Firewall --> (Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall)

You  must add "Scan Manager" and give it access to Domain, Home/Network (Private), Public.  ALSO 

ScanMgr2.exe should be in the list already and grant it the same privileges.

I am not sure if that is all you need to do, but when I tested it, I gave Sscan2io.exe and SScanToIO access to all 3 I was able to connect.

(I was unable to remove access for those two to Home/Network & Public after testing it with access, so I recommend you try it without giving permission first!)
NOTE: Turning off the firewall does not fix the issue!!!  Firewall had to stay on. 

Hope this helps you all.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2011 09:00

I have also encountered this problem.  Someone out at a property we manage uses the Dell 2335dn printer/scanner.  At first her computer didn't even show up as an available computer to scan to, but another computer in the office did show up.

I had the user reinstall the Dell Scan Manager and shutdown her computer and printer, then boot up and login to her computer, then boot up the printer.  Her computer still didn't show up, so I remoted in and checked the settings/preferences in the Dell Scan Manager program.  I saw that her PC name was set to her name and not the computer name.  The utility showed the scanner in it's list, but it's status was: "Unknown."

After switching her computer name in the Dell Scan Manager preferences to the actual computer name, the printer showed her computer as an available computer to scan to.  In the Dell Scan Manager the status switched from Unknown to Ready, or available or something like that.

However after that she got the error that you have above...   The scanner said Connecting  then "Not Available"

This happened just this morning so I'm still trying to research the issue.  Just thought I would share this information with anyone googling the problem..

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

October 20th, 2011 15:00

From the printer, I click SCAN > PC APPLICATION > NETWORK PC and it immediately says NOT AVAILABLE. This is after it was working fine when we first set it up. Had it going on two computers. The only thing I am aware of that changed is the printer IP. I have now set it as a static IP so it won't change again. I removed and reinstalled the drivers. Scan manager states READY TO SCAN. But the message first shown above is what I get. Frustrating!

25 Posts

November 25th, 2011 08:00

Anyone find a fix to this issue? My printer was working fine. I was able to scan over the network to a PC with no problems. Now I'm getting the unavailable message.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2012 01:00

I also have exactly the same problem. I have 3 computers on the printer, they seem to randomly be available, but a majority of the time none of them are on the list of network pc

February 8th, 2012 09:00

I have the 2335dn setup as a network printer. It works fine in this role. For scanning, however, the setup does not work well.

I go to scan->pc-application->network pc, and then get the "not available" message followed by an annoying beep.

I've noticed that if I use the scan manager to remove and then re-add the device, the scanning will work just fine. And it will work fine until the next day. The computer that is used to manage the printer does go into hibernation every night. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Removing and re-adding the device in the scan manager may work as a temporary fix, but I'd like something permanent. I can't imagine having to do that every day.

February 8th, 2012 10:00

Windows 7 on the main computer. I've checked for driver/firmware updates, there don't seem to be any for the 2335dn. I don't think it's an IP issue. Just like with thumper300zx, I can see the printer in the scan manager, and it says "ready to scan."

25 Posts

What operating system are you using?

25 Posts

I was having the same problem with windows 7 where the computers kept dropping off the scanner and when I finally got them back on, I was too getting the message that said unavailable.

I ended up installing the scan manager on an xp machine and within the scan manger software created a fold for each person who needed to scan. I then shared the folders on the network and put a shortcut to the users personal folder on the desktop of their computer. So when the user goes to the scanner there is only one choice (which is the name of the xp machine). When you select that, you then see a list of all the users folders you can scan to. That actually worked very well.

Since then we got rid of the xp machine and we are doing the same thing with our server (Windows Server 2003). This way seems to work almost as good as the xp machine. I've been doing this for about 3 months now and only had one problem.

February 8th, 2012 12:00

Thanks so much! I made some changes based on your advice.

The problem is probably related to OS issues (in our case, windows 7). Luckily, we happen to have an old XP machine in our network. After installing the scan manager on the XP machine and configuring it to work on the network, it seems like I won't have to remove&re-add the device using the dell scan manager every day! I even restarted the computers to check if the problem would return. It didn't.

I had spent several hours messing around with the security, sharing, and printer settings on the windows 7 comp, all to no avail. You've made my day!

2 Posts

March 29th, 2012 07:00

Same issue here. It worked great for a few days on two Win 7 x64 machines. After that, only one computer would scan, the other "Connecting... NOT AVAILABLE". Now neither of them will scan. We can scan to email, but that takes about 5 minutes trying to type an email address out using the number pad.

We no longer have any XP machines and should not need them to scan. Trying to remove and add the device back to scan manager, at least this latest version we have, does not seem to be an option. 

I have tried updating the firmware and uninstalling/reinstalling the latest software & drivers. 

I would love it if someone has found a fix and could share it with us! If I find a solution, I will be sure to post it here...

March 11th, 2013 19:00

This is what worked for me:

Open Dell Scan Manager

Click Properties

Click Change Port

Click the Local Scanner radio button at the top

Apply

Ok

Exit

Operating on Windows 7

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

March 5th, 2015 20:00

I did exactly the same for our office 2 years ago after I posted.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 13:00

What did you do for this issue???

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 13:00

which suggestion did you try? which worked for you?

No Events found!