Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2011 22:00

DELL 305 Ink cartrige and scanner problems

I have not used my V305 much and I'm about to junk it unless I can find a quick fix.

I replaced th e colour ink cartrige and it tires to do an alignment but it fails.  Some of the lines that print blue are missing so it appears the cartrige is not working well.   The printer also tells me to remove the tape from the colour cartrige,   There's not tape and I've cleaned the contacts on both the cartrige and the printer several times.  I put in the old cartrige and it does  the same thing.

On top of that, the scanner has also quit.   The lamp lights but the scanner bar will not move.   Again, an error comes up and says it's an unrecoverable scanner error.

With new printers so cheap, running about the cost of a new set of replacment cartriges (paid $39 for this one when I bought a laptop), there's no upside to taking it to a repair shop.  

Anybody have any quick solutions?   Yes, I've unplugged it several times.....

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2011 02:00

Brewster965,

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 9 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 9 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 9 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 9 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 9 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would take these back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

7 Posts

February 18th, 2011 13:00

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!   :emotion-39:   :emotion-12:

AND YES, I DID ALL THE UNPLUGGING, ETC.

AND THERE'S NO TAPE ON IT!   :emotion-39:

I'VE WASTED SO MUCH INK (AND THIS PRINTER IS THE BIGGEST INK HOG I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!)  PRINTING OUT THE REQUESTED ALIGNMENT AND TEST PAGES AS PER THE MESSAGES!   :emotion-39:

IT WON'T GO PAST THOSE ERROR MESSAGES!

AND NOW, I READ BELOW, THAT IT IS A DEFECTIVE SENSOR....AND OUR STAPLES DOESN'T CARRY THEM, ONLY SPECIAL ORDER 4-PAKS SENT TO YOUR HOME  (WHICH IS HOW I PAID FOR THIS ONE).  ANOTHER PROBLEM!   :emotion-39:

THIS IS A RIDICULOUS SITUATION.

7 Posts

February 18th, 2011 14:00

i just did what rick suggested, removing the brick, and it WORKED!  hope you have as much luck!

i was so glad he was there!

7 Posts

RICK!!!

YOUR SUGGESTION WORKED!!!  i removed the power brick, waited, reseated the cartridges, and so far/so good!

you really saved us a BIG hassle!!!  and, i can now keep working!

wow, THANK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

as is usual, it wasn't easy to find this exact forum, but, compared to other troubleshooting journeys i've been on, this one was pretty much easier.  and, IT WORKED!!  thanks tons!!!!!!!

:emotion-2:   :emotion-21:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

sawaustin,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I kinda didn't enjoy your angry upset thread but now can look back and laugh.:emotion-5:

Take care,

Ricvk

7 Posts

February 18th, 2011 16:00

hi rick.

believe me, the anger was directed at dell, not you.  :emotion-52:

and additionally, i wrote that before i discovered your helpful post.  :emotion-10:

(but i won't take back that it is an ink hog, haha).  :emotion-45:

thanks again for the help!  :emotion-21:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2011 17:00

sawaustin,

WHAT???

It wasn't directed at me? I knew that. I try to help others if possible.

Take care,

Rick

7 Posts

February 19th, 2011 09:00

:emotion-5:  hahahaha   glad you have a sense of humor!

thanks again....yours is one of the few times i've actually had success using forums. 

(...if you think my anger here was frustrating, you shoulda heard me with microsoft on the phone from india, after six days of them trying to fix my windows!  hahahahaha!)  :emotion-4:

February 27th, 2011 22:00

No success. The printer still tells me to rmove the tape.   I put in an old cartrige and it reports the same.   It appears something must be wrong with the interface between the cartriges and the printer.   I wiped the contacts down one time and the message went away for awhile but it's come back. 

Unplugging did not fix the scanning failure either.  Still tells me there is a Unrecoverable Error.    The lamp is stuck and won't move. 

I suspect the firmware has failed but there is no way to upgrade or reload it.   

I've fixed the over all problem now.   Bought a new HP printer from Staples today.    Hauled in an old Epson and a Cannon printer to their recycling bin while I was at it.   Inkjets seem to be a disposable comodity in this day and age.   Much cheaper to get a new printer with full cartriges than try to fix an old one.   It's a symptom of our throw away society.   Nothing is built to last and planned obsolesence is quick (both the Canon and the Epson printers could not be upgraded to work wtih Vista).  

PS.  I just bought two new photo cartriges for the printer thinking I could use them for some photos this summer.   If anybody is interested let me know.....$10 each, never opened.

No Events found!