Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2009 23:00

Dead Dell 3000cn Printer

Hello,

I have a dell printer that has only printed about 200 impressions.  I put the thing in a closet almost 2 years ago when it broke.  Now I finally have a little time to mess with it.

When I turn the printer on, all I get is the power and the '!' LEDs to light up.  I have a feeling that the ESS board (W6470) is shot.  Does anyone know if the Ethernet Chip to the left of the USB and Ethernet socket is supposed to get so hot that you could burn yourself?  I am going to go to National Semiconductors website and pull up the datasheet to see if they list max operating temp.

Unfortunaly the ESS boards are almost as much as the printer. :emotion-7:

I would be happy if I could get this to run long enough to actually consume the consumables.. haha

They sure don't make things like they used too.  I would have rather seen my Panasonic B&W Laser printer from ages ago kick the bucket.  Oh well  I can't even it get it to rotate the toners so that I can give them to a friend that has the same printer.  It just seams like such a waste to toss out such full toners. 

1.7K Posts

April 6th, 2009 06:00

Yep, it does sound like the ESS bit the dust.

But I can give you a trick to remove the toner carts..... with no power applied:
1.  Power off and remove the AC cord
2.  Open the front cover
3.  Open the top cover
4.  Remove the Drum Unit and set aside
5.  Close only the front cover (this releases the cartridge carrier [carousel] brake), leave the top cover open.
6.  Reaching in the top of the unit, rotate the cartridge carousel in either direction.
     a. AVOID touching any of the "fuzzy" rods that extend across the carousel from side to side. These are the MAG rollers and apply the toner to the drum cartridge.
     b. Don't try to remove any cartridges out the top.
7.  Open the front door to lock the carousel and check the position of the cart to remove. Ensure the guides on each side of the toner cart are exactly lined up with the guide slots in the chassis...... or you'll have a real tough time getting them out. You can close/rotate/open the front door to check the position if needed.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the info.. I think I am going to hang on to the toners now..  I was going to give them to a friend, but I am going to keep searching for a used 3000cn that is broken some other way  to salvage the ESS board.

Why do they want so much for that board? 

It is almost like Dell Planned on that printer not lasting very long so that they can make a killing on parts.

Now my old beater Panasonic B&W Workhourse has parts a dime a dozen, but I never need them.  That is the printer that should have bit the dust..  Cheap to repair and if I wanted to just throw it away, it had a good life..

Jeff 

1.7K Posts

April 6th, 2009 10:00

Sorry..... I don't know why Dell charges what they do for parts.

Have you checked out eBay? I've seen these listed where folks are selling outright or "parting out".

Since the thing was sitting for awhile, was it subjected to any changes in humidity? Wondering if it would be worthwhile for you to pull the covers and re-seat all he connections. Humidity changes can cause minute amounts of moisture corrosion that can cause big headaches.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2009 11:00

Yep, I have been watching ebay. 

Not much humity.   This happened before I put it away.

I put it in my closet after it broke untill I had the time to mess with it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

6 Posts

April 7th, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the toner info.  I took out the toners and gave them to a friend.  I am going to part this printer out.. There are a few servo motors that I could have some fun with.

I am not going to waste my time with this printer.  I bought a cheap Konica Minolta refurb that is working like a champ.  Cheaper then the Dell and more reliable.. :)  Who would have thought?? 

Thanks Again!  The community support here beats Dell Support by a huge margin!  :) 

Jeff

1.7K Posts

April 9th, 2009 14:00

Wow, I know exactly what you're talking about.... but have no clue.

I might suggest you turn this thing in to Goodwill. They rebuild this stuff, use it for job training, and you get a tax write-off. :emotion-11:

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 14:00

Does anybody know what recycle number should be on all the outer plastic of this printer?

I want to put these pieces in the recycle bin.

The least Dell could do is stamp their products with the proper recycling information if their main goal is to produce products with Planned obsolescence.

6 Posts

April 11th, 2009 20:00

Got rid of it in a way I think is better than the curb.

http://www.greenerracine.com/

No Events found!